Ahhhh. the worst install ever.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This post needs pics but my phone went dead.

I arrived to install the stove only to find that where I thought the pipe would exit through the rim joist wasn't going to happen. 3 1/2 hrs or dry fitting pipes I finally got the correct placement. Done right? No no no. Of course I had to remove an air duct just to get into the crawl space and right before I started drilling through I noticed that the pipe was going to be in the way of the air duct...ahhhhh. I was 1 minute away from telling the homeowner that I give up and NO she couldn't install the stove where she wanted on the hearth. Then I notice a small shot around the furnace where if I had the right angle...I could exit just to the left of the chimney.

This is an Englander stove which she already bought, un-crated, and fire up outside, so she wasn't going to be able to return it.

She wanted it installed on a brick hearth which was located behind a wall in the center of her basement, 9 feet away from the sill of the house and against the run of the joists. Because it's an Englander, it MUST have an OAK to be to code.

I had to drill through the rim joist which was 9 inches thick, 5 2 x 10's all sistered together. vinyl siding with claps and 2" rigid foam insulation over it.

I had to bust through a brick wall with a hammer at the hearth. and fire proof the backside.

I had to modify the OAK kit to use a 3" pipe instead of the 2" it came with.

Every vent exiting the wall needed to be padded out so the thimbles would be some what flush.

I used every single tool in my truck and had to clean up after dark.

Started at 930AM yesterday morning and was done cleaning etc at 1038 PM last night.

Had to demonstrate the stove the stove to her and she had a really thick German accent and was about 50% on English.

The way this job went, I'm sure the building inspector will be calling saying something is wrong. This town is the worst to begin with.

Aye aye aye...

Makes installing the 37 ft liner I'm doing today seem like a breeze.

ok, I'm done venting (no pun intended)

Quoted price or did you switch to T&M?

No, it was quoted, though it should have gone to T&M. It's a hard call. I priced it high anyway cause I thought it would be tough but it was over the top. A month from now when the repair work sets in this type of an install will just have to take a backseat or be T&M.

People do not like to have surprises. If her English wasn't so tough I may have approached it T&M. I have a pretty good internet presence and what I don't need is a bad review just so I can make another $500. That would cost me thousands.

Sounds like many of my days, what I think will take 2-3 hours takes 2-3 days!

One of my cars I pulled it in the garage over a year ago for some simple work, well one thing led to another and now lots of time and money put into it and still not on the road!

Wow, I sure give you credit for doing all that work to get that installed. My guy came and went in an hour and a half and guess what?? the stove doesnt work and technician is coming tomorrow as I mentioned in my other posts. If my installer would have been more like you my stove would be working.

Kudos for having such a great work ethic!!! Not many like you around anymore.

Yeppppp the install from Hell for sure.

I understand fully about keeping your word and not giving people a reason to call smack down on you.

When I installed the three different stoves in my home, I always left the slate clean and looked everything over well and considered all options before picking a spot for the stove.

Sadly a lot of folks pic a spot and thats it.

If they had to install the thing themselves, they would think again before they started.

Took me three days of planning before that last install. Loads of measuring, checking where wiring was in the wall, stud location, distances from windows and such.

Glad you got it all taken care of. Hope the client is happy too.

Status
Not open for further replies.