Aint' that a beauty?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianbeech

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2011
Southern IN
We only process trees that have come down via natural causes, but sometimes we get some really nice ones - check this one out.

Attachments

• IMG954975.jpg
    IMG954975.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 631
That is a nice looking round. I always think Black Walnut is too nice to cut for firewood, but around here the reality is that there are lots of less-than-perfect black walnuts that will never be useful for anything else. I tend to think the same thing about oak, too.

It all burns right? Have burned "birdseye" maple before. I'm sure there was a market for it, but only noticied what it was after it was all bucked up for firewood and it was getting split.
Have heard numbers of $10k+ for ONE log of that!

That sapwood's in pretty good shape for a Red/Black Oak. Must have come down in a storm?

Woody Stover said:
That sapwood's in pretty good shape for a Red/Black Oak. Must have come down in a storm?

You are correct. Half the tree came down in a storm and recently the rest of it - larger section - came down. I've got plenty of cutting to do. That's not even the trunk, but one of the largest limbs on the tree.

brianbeech said:
We only process trees that have come down via natural causes, but sometimes we get some really nice ones - check this one out.

It always amazed me the difference in trees from northern to southern Indiana.
You can almost see the line.
Its kind of the same going east too.

mecreature said:
brianbeech said:

What differences are you seeing? You've got Red Oak just like that, no?

Woody Stover said:
mecreature said:
brianbeech said:

Yeah we have red oaks like that. It might just be the farm land vs forest stuff. Around me you can see for miles.
I live north of indy and by the time I drive 30 miles south and out of the city it just seems like a different place.

mecreature said:
Woody Stover said:
mecreature said:
brianbeech said:

Yeah we have red oaks like that. It might just be the farm land vs forest stuff. Around me you can see for miles.
I live north of indy and by the time I drive 30 miles south and out of the city it just seems like a different place.

We're 7 miles from downtown Louisville (as the crow flies), but that is still in the Knobs. Seems awfully different than the flat land that is the rest of Indiana.

Yep, the farmland south of indy tends to get hillier, so you have larger trees that survive on the slopes.

Once you cross the state line into east central IL (about 15 miles from me) it gets extremely flat and the only trees not growing in someone's yard look more like brush than good timber.

Status
Not open for further replies.