air adjustments prior to reload?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adrpga498

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
New Jersey
Assuming you open your air supply prior to reload,my quetion is ...Do you open air 100% at once at the time of reload? Or, do you gradually open air intake over time as you would when you reduce for a longer burn. Heres what I do. I move from 25% open to all open about 1 hour prior to the reload. The only difference when I reduce for a longer burn I go from full open until chared, then half closed for about 15 inutes then set at approximately 25% closed till the next reload. My reason for the gradual increase of air is two fold. One, it may increase or atleast hold the surface temp. from dropping further the next hour. And two, I feel it gives the coals a good charge to assist in the ignition of the next load.

,Got a question for you 100 yds from the green do you chip for 80 yds to setup the next chip? that's how you are opperating your stove
you do not have to open the air before re load . Yes open the damper load it up open the air up to 10 minutes get is involved and chared start reducing you air
get to the point where you find the balance of the damper closed anf 1/2 to leess primary air to extend the burn and productive heat range

elkimmeg said:
,Got a question for you 100 yds from the green do you chip for 80 yds to setup the next chip? that's how you are opperating your stove
you do not have to open the air before re load . Yes open the damper load it up open the air up to 10 minutes get is involved and chared start reducing you air
get to the point where you find the balance of the damper closed anf 1/2 to leess primary air to extend the burn and productive heat range

Just primary air, no damper. And always hit a knock-down from 100 yards.

wilson Staff progresives

You burn open damper all the time? what burn time are you getting? like you fine tune golf swings tell me your burning routine maybe I have a tip or two

HI Elk,

I have a 4 foot pipe up to a 90 degree elbow out through wall thimble. The pipe doen't have a damper. I have a great draft and i control only with primary control on stove. Castine with slide on bottom. I have no complaints at all. I was just wondering if others reloaded with any routine. (Kinda like a pre-shot routine in golf). Burn times are fine aswell as heat output. Load full,char for 10 to 20 minutes on wide open air. Shut air down half way for another half hour. Final setting of 1/4 open for the remainder of the load or approximately 4to 5 hours depending on the "honey" I feel cold hint. Happy golfing.

My manual says to open the damper before opening the door to reload or adjust logs, etc. Otherwise the flame could shoot out the door. We never did that with our old pre-EPA stove and hubby has forgotten to do it a couple of times with the new one and it was ok, but I always open the damper first. Then leave it open to let the new log/logs get going a bit before closing it back down (gradually or totally depending on the temp).

Elk, in his case the air control IS the damper. No bypass damper.

Yes, I do increase the air 100% all at once, just before I reload. Slowly open door, add wood, then leave the air at full open for about 10 minutes. The turn down the air control for desired burn rate, all at once. I do not stage it. If the wood is good this works fine. If wood is not-so-good it takes more staging.

I did not know the inside works if the Jotul I have to pay more attention next inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.