Air Circulation Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow - you guy's just saved me some $ on a bunch of doorway fan's. Thanks! It all makes good scientific sence and I can use my existing ceiling fans w/ some inexpensive floor fans blowing the dense cold air torward the stove.

The local Walmart has a good deal on Honeywell fans, just a little over 10 bucks each. I picked up 3 of them. These little guys have an impressively powerful air blast for a small diameter fan. You can feel it 5-6 feet away easily. Ought to work real well this fall. Can't wait to play around with this setup.

I use purpose cut holes for box fans on my interior walls like this, so my door ways are not obstructed. and I leave the fans on all year and it helps with evening out the house temps. so central heat or air we use window A/C units and these help even out those temps as well.

Attachments

• fan.jpg
    fan.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 214
Thanks for the info. I was afraid that it would end up being one of the "if it's too good to be true" schemes. I can't wait to give it a shot. I'll be posting a report in the fall.

As an update to this thread, I've now had several fires this season, and I ran 4 fans as planned (see post #25 above). I'd say they have been effective in moving heated air to the colder end of the main floor where the stove is. We're talking about rooms which are 30+ feet away from the stove and around multiple corners. In fact, the fans have exceeded my expectations and made a noticeable difference. The fans are on the floor and placed to pull cold air towards the stove from those colder rooms. The heated air simply takes care of itself. As proof it's working, I have only to go into either cold bedroom and hold my hands just under the top of the door opening. I can feel detectable warm air flow past the bulkhead over the door. Not huge amounts, but detectable. And my room thermometers confirm this improved 'distance heating'.

this is all great but with little kids sticking their fingers in the fans that are left on the floor isnt good! I cant use floor fans, I wish I could!

My father has a similar situation. Stove downstairs, and majority of the house upstairs. This is in his cabin in N.H. he says with the stove running for about an hour or two, it heats everything up fairly well(his cabin is 2100sqft and I think he as a VC Resolute Acclaim) Look at it this way, if my stove can heat my whole house evenly(my house has the screwiest layout in the northeast) then hopefully you won't have any issues. Enjoy

Tom(NJ)

Status
Not open for further replies.