air circulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbetsy

Jun 25, 2009
western ma.
At the present time I have about 1/2 a cord of wood in the garage with 3 1/2 cords outside. Would there be much of a gain in drying time by putting a fan out there to hasten the drying. I am concerned with all the rain that we have been getting.

Surface drying is not the issue, when your trying to season wood. It's internal drying, which depending on the species and size of material is all relative. Do you know what species of wood you have?

It is mostley ash, maple, beech but it appears to be pretty damp at the present time. Most of it was cut last fall and delived in April.

Those species dry the best in 9mos., depending on size and location. The ash will dry the fastest. If you can pick out the ash, burn that first. If it is split on the small, that will also hasten the drying. Th sun and wind is your friend! Make sure its stacked loosely, up off the ground. Cross stack if possible.

I have a green house that is about 12 or 14 by 20 to 22. I left some birch in there one time and it was nucked! I have the doors open and the roof and its 90 here today, the greenhouse is hovering around 100. In the winter with a bad roof panel if there is sun and 30 outside its 60 in there. I bet with the roof fixed it would be 80! Some year I will experiment...

No fan. Let it air dry. But this is why we're told to cut a year ahead. (Wish I'd listened to my own advice - I'm just finishing my own wood for this winter!)
Can you stack in indoors before the rains hit in the fall? Then put a fan on it for a week or two. Or a de-humidifier. You'd be surprised how much water is still in it!
Don't be scared by the surface water of the rain. It is still drying out through the capilaries.
...Next year, I'll get ahead!

Status
Not open for further replies.