Air circulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leadfoot

Dec 30, 2009
S.E. Oklahoma
I was wondering how everyone circulated the warm air through the house.
I've been using the return air on our HVAC unit but there is no thermostat
that will run that blower alone. (something I need to add) We also use ceiling fans.
With our stove on the far East end of the house and bed rooms on the West we still get large temperature variations.
Another problem is the location of our existing thermostat. Its in the hall just off the living room and the heat
from the pellet stove reaches it before any bedroom. I'm thinking of installing a wireless thermostat and putting it in the master bedroom.
Anyone else delt with these issues.

On another note, very few basements in this area.

Leadfoot said:
Another problem is the location of our existing thermostat. Its in the hall just off the living room and the heat
from the pellet stove reaches it before any bedroom. I'm thinking of installing a wireless thermostat and putting it in the master bedroom.

For now just crank the stat higher. Get you buy until you get the wireless stat. The original stat was for the furnace I take it?

Also try moving the colder air back toward the stove, Colder air seems to move easier because its lower. Place a fan on the floor facing the stove to draw the cold air to it.

Yes the thermostat is for the heat pump and is mounted above the return air. I'll try moving the cooler air instead of what I've been doing which is moving the warm air.

1. The one thing you have to realize is, stoves are NOT furnaces. They're SPACE heaters.
2. What is the layout of your floorplan? If it's not open, but has numerous doors and walls, it'll be much more difficult to heat all those rooms.
3. You may be better off putting another stove at the other end of the house.
4. IMO, no furnace blower is going to circulate that stove air because, by the time it reaches the furnace blower and travels to the rooms, it'll cool down.

poconoman said:
1. The one thing you have to realize is, stoves are NOT furnaces. They're SPACE heaters.
2. What is the layout of your floorplan? If it's not open, but has numerous doors and walls, it'll be much more difficult to heat all those rooms.
3. You may be better off putting another stove at the other end of the house.
4. IMO, no furnace blower is going to circulate that stove air because, by the time it reaches the furnace blower and travels to the rooms, it'll cool down.

The dining, living and kitchen are on an open floor plan and bedrooms are not. I see what you saying.

poconoman said:
Is this a ranch house? What's the sqft?

It's a wood frame house, cathedral ceilings, one level. metal roof, detached garage and 1500 sf heated.

My stove is assisted by ceiling fans and the stove output points to the air return for the HVAC system. According to a thermometer placed in the air stream, I'm moving 75°F air through the house. The stove is set on 2/heat and 4/fan. It's 9 °F outside at the moment.
Burning about 50 lbs of Ozarks/day. 2000 sq. ft on 2 levels. I am very pleased.

Problem is solved. I have a Ion fan I put in the hall blowing air from the bedrooms in the direction of the thermostat. Now whatever temp the thermostat in on is what the rooms stay. :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.