air control on an old Riteway

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mranum

Aug 20, 2008
Wisconsin
Back in the late 70's my Dad put a Riteway furnace in the basement and she's done great ever since out side of the usual firebrick and gasket replacements. My Dad who knew everything about this unit passed away this past summer and so now I'm running it for my Mother. My question lies with the thermostatic air controller. Pretty simple concept, and it works good most of the time however there have been some instances where it should be closing down the air but is actually opening the draft up a bit more instead.

Anyone ever experience this? I haven't pulled it off to look at it yet, but I can't seem to get it in my head how its even possible. Spring gets hots...expands and lowers the draft door. Not open. On those occasions when that has happened and shes real hot you can't even turn it down enough to where it would close down, you have to unhook the chain to close it down. When it cools down it works fine again.

Anyone know if I can buy a controller yet for this?

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.