1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

AIR CONTROL ON POS FRONTIERSMAN

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by FORCE FAB, Dec 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FORCE FAB

FORCE FAB New Member

Loc:
    SOUTH JERSEY
    Ok this is my first year burning and i bought a cheap stove before i did alot of research.Why would a stove be made without an air control?the only thing controllable is the stack damper witch i have replaced with one that fits the pipe collar...My question is could a make a slide air control for the bottom holes in the face of the stove?

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    If that there is one of the 35-1 models (and I think it is) you surely won't want to modify the air intake. The only thing you are gonna do is "reduce" air intake, and that is gonna lead to a smoldering fire, which if I am guessing correctly, you may already have a problem with.

I don't like 35-1 stoves. Just my pref.
  3. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Yep, it's an EPA-exempt model. A wood-eater. You musn't try to control the intake air, use the stovepipe damper only. Rick
  4. FORCE FAB

FORCE FAB New Member

Loc:
    SOUTH JERSEY
    Actually its the other way around,i have to becareful how much wood i put in because it wants to get too hot
  5. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Thats where the stove pipe damper comes into play. You should be able to have control with the damper. These stoves are known to be a little picky.

What is the total stack height of your setup? A tall stack on these things can also make it fun to get adjusted properly.
  6. FORCE FAB

FORCE FAB New Member

Loc:
    SOUTH JERSEY
    toal stack is about 12 feet..This thing is very picky and im gettin it pretty good,the only thing is that at night when i load it i have to be very careful and make sure the stack damper is fully closed before i goto bed..If the damper is open just a touch the temp will start to creep up
  7. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Wow - 12 feet and your getting that kind of draft. Your one of the lucky ones.

Man, if your getting close with this stove, maybe its just a matter of a little more time and you will have it nailed. There is a learning curve with all stoves and it sounds like your on top of this one.
  8. FORCE FAB

FORCE FAB New Member

Loc:
    SOUTH JERSEY
    Yea it got down in the low 20's yesterday afternoon into the nite i had to cut it back some because the living room was 83*....i only have a bout 1000sq ft rancher but my heater hasnt ran yet this year....im using a couple of 4.75 computer fans on the floors of the other rooms to push the cold air towards the stove....WHAT A DIFFERENCE
  9. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Sounds to me like you've "got it".
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.