AIR CONTROL ON POS FRONTIERSMAN

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FORCE FAB

Oct 30, 2008
SOUTH JERSEY
Ok this is my first year burning and i bought a cheap stove before i did alot of research.Why would a stove be made without an air control?the only thing controllable is the stack damper witch i have replaced with one that fits the pipe collar...My question is could a make a slide air control for the bottom holes in the face of the stove?

Attachments

• vg450elgbLG2.gif
    vg450elgbLG2.gif
    119.5 KB · Views: 188
If that there is one of the 35-1 models (and I think it is) you surely won't want to modify the air intake. The only thing you are gonna do is "reduce" air intake, and that is gonna lead to a smoldering fire, which if I am guessing correctly, you may already have a problem with.

I don't like 35-1 stoves. Just my pref.

Yep, it's an EPA-exempt model. A wood-eater. You musn't try to control the intake air, use the stovepipe damper only. Rick

Jags said:
If that there is one of the 35-1 models (and I think it is) you surely won't want to modify the air intake. The only thing you are gonna do is "reduce" air intake, and that is gonna lead to a smoldering fire, which if I am guessing correctly, you may already have a problem with.

Actually its the other way around,i have to becareful how much wood i put in because it wants to get too hot

FORCE FAB said:
Jags said:

Actually its the other way around,i have to becareful how much wood i put in because it wants to get too hot

Thats where the stove pipe damper comes into play. You should be able to have control with the damper. These stoves are known to be a little picky.

What is the total stack height of your setup? A tall stack on these things can also make it fun to get adjusted properly.

Jags said:
FORCE FAB said:
Jags said:

Thats where the stove pipe damper comes into play. You should be able to have control with the damper. These stoves are known to be a little picky.

What is the total stack height of your setup? A tall stack on these things can also make it fun to get adjusted properly.
toal stack is about 12 feet..This thing is very picky and im gettin it pretty good,the only thing is that at night when i load it i have to be very careful and make sure the stack damper is fully closed before i goto bed..If the damper is open just a touch the temp will start to creep up

Wow - 12 feet and your getting that kind of draft. Your one of the lucky ones.

Man, if your getting close with this stove, maybe its just a matter of a little more time and you will have it nailed. There is a learning curve with all stoves and it sounds like your on top of this one.

Jags said:

Man, if your getting close with this stove, maybe its just a matter of a little more time and you will have it nailed. There is a learning curve with all stoves and it sounds like your on top of this one.
Yea it got down in the low 20's yesterday afternoon into the nite i had to cut it back some because the living room was 83*....i only have a bout 1000sq ft rancher but my heater hasnt ran yet this year....im using a couple of 4.75 computer fans on the floors of the other rooms to push the cold air towards the stove....WHAT A DIFFERENCE

FORCE FAB said:
Jags said:

Yea it got down in the low 20's yesterday afternoon into the nite i had to cut it back some because the living room was 83*....i only have a bout 1000sq ft rancher but my heater hasnt ran yet this year....im using a couple of 4.75 computer fans on the floors of the other rooms to push the cold air towards the stove....WHAT A DIFFERENCE

Sounds to me like you've "got it".

Status
Not open for further replies.