Air control question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy S.

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Southeastern, PA
My manual says not to completely close the air off with the blower running and I don't. It turns out that I didn't properly explain that to the wife who enthusiastically keeps the insert running when I'm not there. When I got home last night it was humming along with secondaries and everything was nice and warm. I noticed the air was fully closed. She's been running it that way every time.

Is this a danger to the unit? If not, why would the manual advise against it?

When I got home last night it was humming along with secondaries and everything was nice and warm.

Sounds like it is working perfectly. The idea behind the primary not being fully closed when using the fan is because the fan pulls heat from the stove. The manuals suggestion is to keep the stove burning a little harder to maintain proper stove temps. If you are getting proper stove temps (and it sounds like you are) with your wifes setting, then all is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.