Air control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
I asked this question before but just wanna make sure I understand. So when the air control is closed completely, air still enters the fire box?

When I load the fire box up for the night, the fire gets real hot so i turn down the air control to make it burn slow. It still burns mighty hot and I want it to go slower but I am wicked afraid of loosing the fire.

Most EPA stoves have a "stop" or limit to the air control. It will still allow for some air to enter the firebox. If you have a strong draft situation, it would be possible to put a damper in the pipe to help control it further, but be aware, the mfgs. do this on purpose to maintain a clean burn. If its "excessive" then try a damper.

Edit: oh skinny, this is also assuming that you don't have any un-natural leaks in your stove. Your stove is pretty new if I remember, but you may want to check door gaskets, ash pan gasket (if it has one), etc.

He might have inadvertantly stuck some fatwood in there? Thanks to you guys on this forum, I am now always on the lookout for that stuff/--Once a large piece of one of those suckers gets lit up, it is very hard to control.

Fatwood=wood with lots of pitch and sap. burns super hot.!!

With and inset were can you put this damper there not much room unless you re move your trim. I have the same thing going on with my napoleon insert. My thing is if you had a chimminy fire you cant shut the air off to smother the fire out. I wish I had better control of the oxygen going in to the box.Is there any thing we can do to get better control

Jags said:
Most EPA stoves have a "stop" or limit to the air control. It will still allow for some air to enter the firebox. If you have a strong draft situation, it would be possible to put a damper in the pipe to help control it further,

Draft situation?

skinnykid said:
Jags said:
Most EPA stoves have a "stop" or limit to the air control. It will still allow for some air to enter the firebox. If you have a strong draft situation, it would be possible to put a damper in the pipe to help control it further,

Draft situation?

A draft that is too strong.

cmonSTART said:
skinnykid said:
Jags said:

Draft situation?

A draft that is too strong.

forgive my newbie ignorance, how?

To much feed air? To fast exhuast?

Too strong of draft:

Your stove and pipe configuration creates an environment that even though the stove's controls are on the lowest air settings, you are still getting excessive draft, possible causing an unsafe temp in the stove or burning fuel at a very high rate.

This can be caused by very tall chimneys, strange outside conditions, and a few others. If this situation is persistent, it is not uncommon to try to limit the outgoing (pipe) draft with a barometric damper or a manual damper in the pipe.

Hope this clears it up for ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.