Air Cooled Chimney in Cold Climate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
The large fireplaces I just looked at, the Quad 7100 and FPX 36 and 44, require air cooled chimneys, I believe their own systems. How does that work in a cold climate? With that and the outside air, I can see a lot of coolness coming in when the unit isn't working. On the plus side, my Heatilator has the same system as the Quad, and Northstar.

The doors on the Quad 7100 are nice and tight and do not let cold air in. With the door open, I could feel a bit of cool air. I have only done one burn so far, but the draft quickly kicked in once I got all the levers and knobs in the correct positions.

I couldn't understand why the fire was not going and the box was full of smoke. Then I flipped the OAK lever and the smoke went right up the chimney. (Note to self, open the OAK before lighting the fire.)

There is no air intrusion if you do a correct install, at least not in my case. A "P" trap is required on the cooling inlets. I put all my vents below the actual unit as cold air will not rise. The heat output of the FPX44 is amazing.

Thanks. If there's a possiblity to go with the existing Quad. sl300 air-cooled pipe, it might reduce some cost.

The Quad 7100 requires a separate vent for the air cooled part of the chimney. I have a 4" dryer vent next to the 6" OAK vent on the side of my chase. When I was doing my first burn, I went and put my had on the vent and it was sucking a lot of air. Which I guess is what it is supposed to do to keep the chimney temperature at an appropriate level.

I suggest that once you have selected a lineup of likely suspects that you want to consider, download the install manuals for each unit. Then you can really see what it required for the installs. I did "virtual installs" in my head as I read the manuals to see what issues I needed to be aware of.

Once I selected the 7100 and had gotten to know the install needs, I knew the unit requirement better than the vendor/installer. During framing, I caught a couple of mistakes that would have been showstoppers if they had been missed.

Village Idiot said:
The Quad 7100 requires a separate vent for the air cooled part of the chimney. I have a 4" dryer vent next to the 6" OAK vent on the side of my chase. When I was doing my first burn, I went and put my had on the vent and it was sucking a lot of air. Which I guess is what it is supposed to do to keep the chimney temperature at an appropriate level.

I suggest that once you have selected a lineup of likely suspects that you want to consider, download the install manuals for each unit. Then you can really see what it required for the installs. I did "virtual installs" in my head as I read the manuals to see what issues I needed to be aware of.

Once I selected the 7100 and had gotten to know the install needs, I knew the unit requirement better than the vendor/installer. During framing, I caught a couple of mistakes that would have been showstoppers if they had been missed.

Great advice. I did the same and it helped make the right decision for my situation.

Trail_Time said:
There is no air intrusion if you do a correct install, at least not in my case. A "P" trap is required on the cooling inlets. I put all my vents below the actual unit as cold air will not rise. The heat output of the FPX44 is amazing.

Yup I agree!

I did what village did with reading the books and doing a lot of thinking as to which unit to purchase. As with him I knew the stove better than the local retailers. When a local salesman standing in front of the 44 said "we don't sell any catalytic units" I knew I was in the wrong store. Nonetheless I was all up in the framers, masons, and did some of the install myself to ensure that it was right.

I basically went with the unit as my brother in law has been working at a fireplace joint for nearly 20 years doing installs - albeit a 4 hr drive away. He knows what he's doing. Bought it from him. The Quadrafire dealer also didn't have installers (they gave me a list of folks to call - which didn't do much for me) and no other dealers around here really sell the Napoleon units.

The install manuals aren't really that complicated - just read it with a cup of coffee. You'll be more informed that 99% of the "knowledgable sales people" that are supposed to know them.

Status
Not open for further replies.