Air cooled engines burning oil...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Intheswamp

Jun 25, 2010
South Central Alabama
I was looking on the Briggs & Stratton website about the 675 engine on my Huskee 22-ton (it's still kickin'!!!<g>) and was specifically looking at the oil change page. Toward the bottom I found a statement that stated "Air-cooled engines burn about an ounce of oil per cylinder, per hour." Is this for real? I've used air-cooled engines on lawnmowers and tillers and I don't recall using that much oil and the splitter has several hours on it and isn't low. ???? Are they just trying to scare you into checking the oil or ???

Ed

I would say that up to one once an hour is ok.....

My air cooled motors do not burn oil, using 30w oil, but with synthetic oil, some do. Must be so slick it gets past the rings.

Smokey said:
My air cooled motors do not burn oil, using 30w oil, but with synthetic oil, some do. Must be so slick it gets past the rings.

Interesting, just switch my splitter will keep a close eye on that. Regular oil it did not use a drop.

According to Briggs & Stratton, oil type and operating conditions can play a part (see the "**" footnote for 10W30 oil):

BSoilRec2009.jpg

Also, our Kohler 17hp on the Toro-Wheelhorse garden tractor probably burns more than an ounce per hour, but that engine has been worked hard since 1996. I think it's time for a rebuild.

All engines have a consumption rate however small it may be. I've seen small Briggs consume enough to need it added at each refueling and still run for yrs and then others seem to almost never use oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.