Air flow and OAK (or lack thereof)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whlago

Feeling the Heat
Nov 30, 2011
NW Connecticut
First of all I have and OAK in a home less than 10 years old and really have no thoughts of changing it. But this is what was going on in my head instead of counting sheep while laying in bed last night. :confused: In certain areas of the home I feel a draft which is the cold air return portion of the air circulation occuring within the house.

The question is, if I unhooked the OAK, I am assuming it would increase the cold draft air as it gets sucked into the intake, however will this also increase the overall air flow including the "warm air draft" and possibly do a better job of spreading the warm air into the remote cracks and crevises of the house?

Just my opinion, but I think when it's really cold out, the amount of very cold air being sucked into your house would more than offset any added benefit of added warm air flow.

The cold air returning to the stove area means that warm air is getting places. You'll still have that draft, plus a lot more, without an OAK.

Status
Not open for further replies.