AIR FLOW

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ROYJ24

Oct 3, 2007
S. JERSEY
I like to leave my front doors open on my intrepid for more & quicker heat
is it necessary to leave the air control lever cracked open & if so y?

no, the fires getting all the air it can at that point. But your stove will produce a lot more heat for a load of wood with the doors closed I think.

Roy, we leave our Intrepid II door open only when it's in the 50's outside, because it's not
that cold. You are only getting radiant heat from the flames. Your should keep the door closed
though when you want to heat the house, and save wood. Leaving the glass doors open only burns
up your wood faster and all your "btu's" are going up the chimney.
Also note that your not getting that "cool looking" secondary burn light show :coolsmile:

A stove puts out more heat when it is dampered down. Leaving the doors open takes much air from inside the house, heats it and sends it up the chimney. Now, new air has to come into the house to replace the warm air (its physics) where does that new air come from? Sill boards, windows, doors, attic vents, basement doors etc.

i would still leave the air control open, its miniscual compared to the big space left by the open doors.
i will leave the door cracked when i light the fire to get it going quicker/better, (like for 3-5 minutes)but for heating you need to close the doors.
i know what you mean though, sit in front of the open doors and you 'feel' more heat, but your not 'heating' your home.
your actually losing heat, wasting wood, having home heat go drafting up the flue and without a screen i'd keep my eyes glued to it.

and i'd swear my glass gets dirtier with the doors slightly open.

THANKS FOR THE LESSON. SUCH WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE, I MUST GO NOW & TELL
OTHERS & SPREAD THE WWWOOORRRDDD------>!

Status
Not open for further replies.