Air from under the Buck Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smooth

Jan 19, 2016
East Coast, USA
Hey everyone

I have had this BuckStove since last year, and this windy winter when I am not burning any wood, I noticed it gets super cold in my living room (where the Buck Stove is located).

I did the paper test and found that most of the cold air was coming from bottom of the Buck Stove, even when I have the flue closed. Is there something I can put underneath the Buck Stove? I marked the areas of the cold air in the picture.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20160119_130055.jpg
    20160119_130055.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 171
My first year of burning with my Buck 91, I had a lot of over fires due to my stupidity and being new. I had to roll up some aluminum foil in a long tube fashion, to stick under the Buck to keep it from getting air after I closed all the other vents. Try that and if its a really cold stove (and you are darn sure of that, you could try some old towels rolled up. Hope that helps. I am sure others will be along shortly.

Is there a stainless liner installed? If so, have you got a block-off plate in the chimney above the top of the stove to keep cold air from coming down between the stainless liner and the chimney liner? If not, do you have a direct-connect setup (stove pipe up to the clay liner of the chimney, with a block-off plate there?) The only other way that much cold air can come down is if you have a "slammer install" which would allow cold air to come down through the chimney into the fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.