Air Gap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zigzag001

Aug 19, 2016
Dallas
I have bought my first wood stove, now time to build a hearth pad. The manual says I need an R-value of 1.5. The stove has legs and there is at least 6 inches of air gap between the fire box and the floor. Does this air gap count towards the R-value? I was thinking of making a hearth pad using 3/4 inch plywood under 1/2 inch durock under ceramic tile.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

No it does not your hearth pad itself needs to be r 1.5. Just tile and 1/2" of durarock will not add up to 1.5 not even close

I had to get to an r-value of 2 for my englander nc-13. 4 layers of 5/8 mglass (fiberglass coated drywall), 2 layers of .5 inch durock, then ceramic tile. That put me just over 2.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've had over a dozen different stoves in the past decade or so, I've never had 1 that needed any serious hearth protection. I'd be looking for another stove if I needed to build up 4" of crap just to set it on...

There are so many stoves out there that are ember protection only, I'd go shopping!

The 1.5 R value is what the Englander NC30 needs. It's a great stove value so a bit more work on the hearth can be worth it. 4 layers of Durock NexGen or a 1/2" layer of Micore + Durock will get you close.

Well, that's the stove that I have. Need to finally get it completely installed for use this year. Good to know it's not a horrible stove.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

The NC30 is a solid heater, by all accounts I've read. Possibly the most oft-recommended stove on this forum, for those on a budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1/2" Durock has an R value of .39 so if that's your choice I would do 4 layers. Anything non combustible over that, such as tile, would just be icing on the cake.

I think Webby has a point though, Englander has some catching up to do on R value requirements. Those requirements only put a small burden on those building a hearth but would seem to limit there market for those that already have hearths that don't meet the requirement.

It would seem to me that adding an additional shield to the stove itself would be more economical and appealing than meeting higher hearth requirements, especially to those who have hearths and are looking for a new stove.

I think Webby has a point though, Englander has some catching up to do on R value requirements. Those requirements only put a small burden on those building a hearth but would seem to limit there market for those that already have hearths that don't meet the requirement.

It would seem to me that adding an additional shield to the stove itself would be more economical and appealing than meeting higher hearth requirements, especially to those who have hearths and are looking for a new stove.
I agree that requirement is limiting but the fact is that englander make good stoves at a low price point. To do that they need to save cost where they can and bottom shielding is obviously one spot they decided to save some money. Yes I am sure they could add shielding to make it ember protection only and improve lots of other things as well. But it would very quickly go up in price to match all of the other steel tube stoves.

There's no denying the appeal of the NC 30 and I also agree there is an effort to stay at an appealing price point but I'm not convinced they wouldn't do better by adding a bottom shield for reasons I stated above.

O'l well, I'm sure the folks at Englander don't need any help from me, just thinking out loud.:)

There's no denying the appeal of the NC 30 and I also agree there is an effort to stay at an appealing price point but I'm not convinced they wouldn't do better by adding a bottom shield for reasons I stated above.

You may be right or possibly offering an add on heat shield for those that need it. I am sure they have none the market analysis on it but who knows. I know it is probably the best value stove available now regardless.

1/2" Durock has an R value of .39 so if that's your choice I would do 4 layers. Anything non combustible over that, such as tile, would just be icing on the cake.

An option would be to install a newer model Englander like the 2.5 cu ft Madison (Summers Heat 50-SHSSW01) or the 3.0 cu ft Monroe (my naming, Summer's Heat 50-SHSSW02). Both of these stoves have ember protection only hearths and are sold at Lowes.

An option would be to install a newer model Englander like the 2.5 cu ft Madison (Summers Heat 50-SHSSW01) or the 3.0 cu ft Monroe (my naming, Summer's Heat 50-SHSSW02). Both of these stoves have ember protection only hearths and are sold at Lowes.

Hmmm. I new of the Madison but not the Monroe. I'll keep my eyes open for the Adams;)

That will be their new goth line, the Adams Family stoves.

Reactions: tarzan
Hmmm. I new of the Madison but not the Monroe. I'll keep my eyes open for the Adams;)

That's very presidential of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: tarzan
Status
Not open for further replies.