air in line?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdsjkk

Oct 12, 2007
I have a Taylor wood stove and have hot water in the house but no heat. I was told I might have air in the line.
The Line going from Taylor
stove to heat exchanger than back to Taylor to get heated up
again. so how do I get the air out?

any suggestions ...its getting cold!

thanks!

Are there bleeder valves on the radiators them self's, this is the main heat in my house it uses gas, that's why I substitute with wood. If there are bleeders start on the first floor bleed them and then go to the second floor. Be sure to bring an old towel and wait till nothing but water comes out. I have to do it every fall before winter hits.

If you have baseboards instead of radiators, the bleeders are located under either the right or left end cover, depending on the direction of flow. Whether it's cast iron radiators or baseboards, you might need a special tool to get at them--a short flat slotted screw driver might work if you don't have the little bleeder tool. Just open the bleeder and wait until water squirts out, then tighten it back up. Baseboard bleeders screw into cast-brass 90s.

You might also have bleeders at various points on the piping (probably in the basement) itself. Follow the piping from where it enters the house from the Taylor until it ends at the radiator or other radiant heat source and open any bleeders that you find along the way. Instead of bleeders, some places might have cast iron plugs. In that case, you might have to unscrew the plug until you hear air come out. But don't do that unless all else fails.

Knowing how to set up hydronic piping so that the bleeders are in the right places is a black art, but if your Taylor has worked in the past, rest assured that it will transfer heat again if it's bled properly.

Do you know if the system was drained since the last time it was used?

no radiators or base board heating just registers ....we had an old oil furnace that the heat exchanger is attached to. There are bleeder screws on the heat exchanger and a spigot....we have open them up and get hot water there....how long should we leave them open?
no it has not been drained but we have had plastic nuts broken that we had replaced on back of stove and could hear the water in stove boiling when it got low...would this cause air in line?

If you have HOT water at the heat exchanger, then you don't have a problem with air in the lines. If you have hot water flowing through the heat exchanger and you're not getting heat, there must be something wrong with the fan.

The boiler should be full of water. Make sure it is before you run it for too long. On the heat exchanger, open the bleeders and wait until water comes out. That tells you that all the air has bled out and it's full of water.

If this doesn't answer your question, then give us some more information. I'm a little confused. It sounds as though you are getting hot water circulating between the heat exchanger and the boiler, so that tells me that it's a problem with the heat exchanger fan or some other part of your ducting.

I wanted to post a pic but can't find my camera cord. so i will try to explain more...The heat exchanger is mounted on my old oil furnace and looks like two long cooper pipes top and bottom with little copper humps in between there is a spigot and bleeder screw on the top one which we get hot water through and the lower one isn't getting warm and has a bleeder screw. The blower on the furnace works fine just blows cold air though.

A circulating pump is on the ceiling on the plastic pipe that runs to the lower copper pipe that isn't hot...we took it apart and it seems to be spinning with no problems so the pump is ok

We have had this wood stove for about 5 yrs and when this has happenned before we just openned up the spigot on heat exchanger and once air was out it was fine. the dealer we bought this from is now out of business..

we did just had to replace our well pump don't know if this cause a problem because it was shutting off and on...
hope this explains alittle more
thanks!

A picture would be very helpful.

I can only reiterate that if you're getting hot water to one side of the heat exchanger that's a good sign. It means there's an issue with the heat exchanger, not the boiler. I'll give it some thought, but without being able to see what you've got, it's hard to come up with any ideas. It sounds like air lock somewhere in the exchanger, but if you've opened up all the bleeders and the spigot and got water out of each of them, then you got me stumped. Sure there aren't any shut-off valves that might be closed?

I doubt your new well has anything to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.