Air intake spring assembly question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jomama

Dec 31, 2012
Thurman NY
The assembly on my resolute was broken off . I got the broken piece out and think I can braze a new end on to it. What I dont understand is how it is then threaded in the stove because there isn't enough clearence to swing it around to thread it in unless its temporarilly bent out of shape first. Then once its threaded in, I know it cant be tightened all the way or it coundn't be moved to make the adjustments. So whats the secret to proper instillation ?

Ya gotta bend it away from the stove to get it in. New ones come "unbent" sort of, so one threads it in then bends it "in" . BY the way, get a new one. There is a tension spring, same as the one on your secondary air cover, which holds the adjustment. Generally, thread nit in till it stops, then back off a turn and you're good.

I finally took a look see at my neighbors to see just how it worked. Low and behold I saw this little spring on the back side of the main metal spring and it is what gives the whole assembly fricton to work against. So being mine was snapped off flush in the block (got er out with the smoke wrench ) I brazed a new end on the shaft ( nice job if I do say so) , bent the arm out a little, theaded it in and tested it with a propane torch and it seems to work fine. One less part to buy and another victory of man over machine. Next in line is to straighten out the handle stem through the door and loosen up the latch on the rear.Then try to braze the cast iron part that opens the damper. Patience, patience, patience and a torch. As luck would have it I was in the local hardware store they sell all types and sizes of gasket rope by the foot. My Dad used to say, " A good doctor can heal the sick but a good mechanic can raise the dead" .

Your dad was a clever guy. If you get tired of all that brazing and need to actually replace any of these parts, let me know I can lay my hands on most stuff for Resolute whether it's still made or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.