Air Intake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony garofalo

Feb 24, 2013
Erie Pa
How much air does a pellet stove need to burn ? After looking at the air baffle it is only opening less then a quarter of a in. Which makes me think it does not need very much air to burn.

Tony, what kind of stove do you have? I have only been burning for a 3rd season.......1/4" doesn't sound right. My M55 has a 3 or 4" intake and pellets stoves need a lot of combustion air/and convection air....This is why a lot of folks stress an OAK, so that your not sucking in warm heated air and sending it out the exhaust vent....Bill

I think you are confusing the Intake air 3"-4" inlet (Pre-firebox) with the combustion path damper (Post-firebox).
The Damper is usually located just in front of the combustion blower in the combustion stream.
The Damper is used to tune the burn characteristics in the firebox with the fuel being burned.
It usually doesn't need much adjustment.
If properly installed, the damper is coarse adjusted by the installer based on the venting conditions installed using a magnehelic gage.

Hope that makes sense,
---Nailer---

Status
Not open for further replies.