air leak in brand new Hearthstone stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

holliscobb

Oct 6, 2008
Southern Maine
We recently bought a brand new Hearthstone Pheonix directly from a dealer in New Hampshire. We are still in the "breaking in" process (4th burn) and it appears there might be an air leak. Last night and tonight, it did the same thing....when it gets up around 250 degrees, it starts making a whistling sound and moisture bubbles up between 2 of the soapstone plates (on the top). We have read through the entire manual numerous times but can't seem to find the problem. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The soapstone pros will tell you VERY SOON , I m a newbie but I say you ok moisture in the stone . Where you guys at . Welcome here . I have a Dutchwest (Not well liked here ) .Remember these dutch west arnt cheap . I thought I did good spending the $$ . first year so far it makes heat '. My wood is free I scounge . I ll let you know . Then again I live in Jersey everything sucks here pay state . I m in seafood cant leave

Thank you for your quick response. We live in Southern Maine and have very long cold Winters. We researched stoves for 3 - 4 months before we bought the Pheonix. It has great reviews so hopefully we made the right decision. Take care!

Hollis

It may be still breaking in. I'd take it up another 50-100 degrees with each new fire until it reaches 450-500 and see how it runs.

Soapstone is compressed talc and it absorbs a lot of moisture. A lot of people here have reported a lot of moisture cooking out of the stone on break-in and it is even recommended to do break-in fires yearly with soapstone stoves to remove moisture absorbed over the off season.

Move it on up in temperature like BeGreen suggests and it should stop bubbling. 250 is just barely above the boiling point of water.

My Heritage bubbled and hissed for the first few burns when new. No worries- the cement needs the heat of a good fire to cure.

BrotherBart is right though, first burns of every season should be small and easy in these stoves in order to drive out the moisture of summer else the stones will eventually develop cracks.

Good luck.

If you had a leak it would likely be sucking air into the stove to feed the fire. Do you have any problems or symptoms other than the bubbling moisture? I didn't get any bubbling out of the top but a few drops out of the bottom. The phoenix is a very attractive stove with more cast iron than other soapstone stoves. A good hybrid.

Other than the hissing sound and bubbling moisture, we haven't had any other concerns. Now that we know this is pretty normal for soapstone stoves, I think we'll be fine. The Phoenix was a good choice for us because with the cast iron and soap stone, it appeared to be the best of both worlds. Thank you all for your help.

Perhaps that is normal in some soapstone stoves but we have not had anything like that. I have read that Hearthstone recommends a burn in fire every year due to the soapstone holding moisture. When I asked Woodstock about that they replied that they have never recommended it and never had a problem with it. I'd call the dealer for sure, but don't think there would be any harm in building a bigger fire.

FIRE IT UP !! it's not cured at 250* if you have no other issues with it like sucking air, burn it , there's alot of area there, those peices just have alot of moisture in them. And do break it in every year slow

Status
Not open for further replies.