Air Leak on Door of New Jotul 550

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadm

Dec 31, 2007
colorado
On another topic of mine about secondary burn BeGreen suggested I check for air leak around door with a dollar bill.

I just did the test and low and behold I could easily pull the bill through on the upper left hand corner (9:00-12:00 position). Everywhere else it was snug.

When I visually check the gasket it looks fine.

This is a 3 week old unit. :-S

I did call my dealer and the person who handles warranty issues will be in tomorrow so I am fishing for info. from you all so I have more info. when I talk to her.

Should the gasket be replaced? If so, who does the replacing??? I sure as heck am not qualified. :ahhh:

How do I know if it is the gasket and not a slight bend in the door?

How important is a snug fitting gasket? (I have only had the glass darken once during secondary burn.....but it was my first sustained secondary burn with flames...)

Just a few questions to get me rolling here.... ;-)

Best to let your dealer determine the correct fix. Just point out the symptoms and let them decide the best course of action. The door latch should be adjustable. They might just snug it up a bit.

BeGreen said:
Best to let your dealer determine the correct fix. Just point out the symptoms and let them decide the best course of action. The door latch should be adjustable. They might just snug it up a bit.

Heaven forbid there be a simple solution. :coolsmile:

But I'm not sure I even have a problem as I have only had the glass darken once on that side during a burn.

Otherwise things seem okay to me. Sometimes I only get flames on one side of the stove and other times it will be on the other side of the stove - ie. Uneven burns to look at but it doesn't happen consistently on one side more than the other. Seems to be due to how I spread the coals before loading and how I distribute the wood. This is a larger fire box to fill up so spaces on the end aren't always equal.

With my Napoleon the box was small and one length of wood pretty much filled it and I stacked on top of that. It burned pretty evenly across due to that.

So - what are the symptoms of a leaking gasket?

The primary result of a leaking gasket is inability to properly control the burn. I have found that one at the top of the door disrupts the secondary combustion air flow process and one at the bottom conflicts with the window air wash and cruds up the glass.

Hmm, somehow I thought this was a persistent issue. I'm not sure why you would be concerned at all about a one time occurrence. Every load of wood and every fire is somewhat different unless compressed logs are being burned. Oh well, I guess it will be good for the dealer to confirm all gaskets are sealing tightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.