Air leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Webspinner

May 4, 2019
British Columbia
Enviro P3 working ok except for room air coming in from the pellet chute area.
Has anyone dealt with a similar issue?
I have installed a sealed fresh air supply, and am trying to avoid any room air from entering the stove.
The stove has plenty of fresh air to burn, no restriction at all, yet it's obviously still drawing air from either the hopper or around the edges of the chute.
The hopper door has a perfect seal, and I've gone over all visible seams and screw holes with sealant.

If t has a perfect seal, how does it leak? Why does this seem wrong to you, it is a safety feature, so that stove may shut down if hopper is left open.

My question is how can you tell that room air is being pulled through the hopper?

My question is how can you tell that room air is being pulled through the hopper?
When I watch the flame, it's clearly being blown towards the glass right in front of the chute. I'll try to get a photo of it.
The reason I want to stop it, or at least reduce the blowing, is that I live in a draughty house, and it's -16°C this morning.

Last edited:
I believe that your flame pattern is normal for an Enviro stove
The flame is forced forward by the top row of holes in the burn pot
forcing the flame and the burnt gasses to flow over
the top baffle and along the heat exchanger so that max heat
can be taken from the stove.

Reactions: Mt Bob
The only way for air being drawn in from the hopper to get to the fire box is through the auger.
Your stove has a air wash setup to help keep glass clean, it is an opening at the top of the glass.