air leakage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
how does one check for air leakages? Where should I check for them?
I have a kozi 120

chrisasst said:
I have a kozi 120

I would like to help but not sure what you mean.

Eric

An easy way is to use an incense stick. Light, let smoke and pass it by all the potential areas. They would include, door, ash pan, seams on pellet hopper, etc. The smoke will be drawn to the leak because of the positive exhaust of the combustion blower. You can also use the dollar bill test at the door, must be resistent, but not completely binding.

Or, you can get a ripping fire going, unplug the stove and pack the stove pipe and see what happens :ahhh: JUST KIDDING, DON'T DO THIS!!!!!!!

I have been communicating with a kozi tech, they told me if I open my damper all the way that my fire should go out. Well mine does not so he may think I have an air leakage. I guess I will have to wait and see what he responds with today. All I know, I am about ready to toss my stove out the dang window.

kinsman stoves said:
chrisasst said:
I have a kozi 120

I would like to help but not sure what you mean.

Eric

Remember pellet stoves are not designed to be air tight.

Eric

Most are not designed to fit through windows either...just kidding...lol.

I did the paper test on my ash pan, I could pull the paper (2 pieces together to be exact) out with ease. I put on a brand new gasket, and retried the paper test and I was still able to pull the paper out with ease. Any suggestions from any one here that have experienced this?

Does your door handle or latch have any adjustment? It could be that the pressure isin't great enough to hold the door/gasket tight against the body. Some stoves allow for adjustment.

I don't think so. They are spring knobs, that turn a piece on the side.

With a new gasket of the right size, I would think you are good to go. Check with a candle or incense or match to see if the flame is drawn to the door edge. Remember one edge is part of the air wash system and may allow some air through. The "seal" is not a water or pressure tight seal, but should stop any drafting. Ceck your ash door for leaks. Make sure the gasket is good there. If your stove is like mind, you need to make sure the hopper lid is tight. The latches are adjustable, I think. When I got mine used the hopper seal was trashed. Former owner was not too careful where he dumped and how he dumped the pellets. It was torn and damaged, so I replace it first thing. I used a thicker material and had to back the locking catches off a little. Next I would check that the hopper is sealed on its seams. My J-Town has caulking on all seems, don't remember if the Kozi does too.

Try these things and report back.

What kind of problem are you having with the stove?

krooser said:

I am not getting good heat output. I have tried many brands of pellets. Other people who have the exact same stove, using the same pellets get a heat output of 200+ degrees on heat setting 3, while I get barely 150 degrees or so.

chrisasst said:
krooser said:

I am not getting good heat output. I have tried many brands of pellets. Other people who have the exact same stove, using the same pellets get a heat output of 200+ degrees on heat setting 3, while I get barely 150 degrees or so.

Search the forum for the many posts on how to REALLy clean your stove... it's plugged up with ash I would bet.. God, I sound like a broken record...

krooser said:
chrisasst said:
krooser said:

Search the forum for the many posts on how to REALLy clean your stove... it's plugged up with ash I would bet.. God, I sound like a broken record...

Unless it was plugged up from day one, since it has never run hot enough, then I don't believe it is plugged. However, I would like to try the leaf blower/vac method, but no one sells them around here this time of year I guess.

the kozi tech last email stated this..
"The burn chamber area works on a negative pressure (vacuum) system. The only area where air should be coming into the stove is through the fresh air intake pipe. If your burn chamber is leaking (i.e. the ash tray not sealing), some air will be brought into the stove through this area. Thus, now the stove is bringing in air from the fresh air intake and through the leak. This means that there will be less fresh air coming into the flame and it will be much harder to adjust. With this being said, this may not be the only problem with the stove. However, it is a good start and 9 times out of 10 sealing the burn chamber area solves the problem. If this does not help, we definitely can look at a few other things that may be causing your problem. This is the first and easiest thing to look at regarding your stove."

Status
Not open for further replies.