air quality

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rsimpson

Hearth Supporter
Oct 14, 2008
southerr ct
I'm interested in buying and installing a Clayton US stove 1800g wood burning furnace
My question is this. I plan on installing it in my garage sealed from the house. Problem is i have severe upper respiratory problems
what kind of problems may i have outside or inside and is there something further i can do to clean the air as it comes from the chimney

Good questions, but I doubt anyone here is going to come out and say 'If you do this, you'll be all right". All woodburning appliances carry with them the risk of a face full of smoke from time to time.

There are some things that can reduce the amount of smoke and especially the fime particulates that are more likely to cause problems:

1) Burn only clean dry wood.

2) Burn with lots of short and hot fires as opposed to smoldering for hours on end.

3) Make sure your chimney is as high as practical. This will get the smoke away from the ground and increase draft, reducing the likelihood of smoke coming out when you open the door.

4) Reload only when the fire has burned down to coals.

You've identified a specific model. Be aware that wood gasification boilers and pellet stoves emit far less smoke than conventional furnaces and boilers.

Don't know if this helps.....

Status
Not open for further replies.