Air Receiver tank for Storage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
EW,

How many gallon tanks are they? How much does each one of those tanks weigh when full?

How many gallon tanks are they? How much does each one of those tanks weigh when full?
They're 250 gallon, about 2500 lb each. Vertical wooden legs are 1.5" x 6.0" rough cut scraps. Blue board is 3" high density 70 psi stuff. Pound per square inch at base of wooden legs is 70, so whatever load spreading is provided by the 3/4" plywood is gravy.

Thanks for the pics, EW.

Reverse return really seems like the best way to get even flow thru multiple tanks but I admit I hadn't read up on it much as I have the one big tank.
I kinda figured piping tanks in parallel was the norm but after some searching this site I realize RR makes a lot of sense.

Learned something new today, thanks!

Noah

Those look like nice tanks. How much? I'd still like to see inside them before I hand over the cash but that's me. What kind of boiler will be heating those tanks? Noah

Well, I got them for $600 each, but I paid a little more to have them freighted to me. I did the math and I would only be ahead about $150 with the gas and trailer rental plus a day of my time. I would have liked to look at them first, but wasn't possible.

I will have a BioMass 25 for these.

Be aware that if you use the side ports then all the volume above the top port and below the bottom port will be lost for heat storage purposes. Using the dome top and dome bottom ports is good, but a major pain to plumb, especially if headroom is tight. Some guys have made dip tubes and risers that angle off inside closer to the bottom and top of the tanks to reclaim plenty of the dead volume.

Hmmm.. I knew it was a good thing I posted as I learn something all the time. I didn't think those small distances would have much affect. I've looked at dip tubes in the past, guess I will need to go back and look a little closer.

I would have liked to look at them first, but wasn't possible.

I'm sure you will be fine. I'll admit I can get paranoid about things I can't see, like corrosion or termites, or deer ticks.;lol

The Biomass boilers look nice. I was close to choosing the 40 but in the end I fell for another-of the Swedish variety.

Noah

Status
Not open for further replies.