Air Restricted

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

southbalto

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
Well, I've spent enough time on this site to know how common complaint this is. My Jotul Castine had done an adequate job of heating my home over the last few years. I did struggle, especially the first year, with poor burn times and difficult startups, but I attributed it to less than ideal wood. I was hopeful that this year would be much better since the wood I'm burning was CSS in 2010. After a rough start, I decided to do some investigating. I removed the baffle, which is actually shaped like an envelope (there is a top and bottom and the air enters through the side. Sure enough I found some insulation or gasket material that was wedged inside the baffle! It must of shipped from the factory with it inside....

The secondary action I'm getting now is much improved; however, I'm concerned now that there might be restrictions in other parts of the stove. I was able to snake a wire from the primary opening back to the air inlet on one side but I haven't tried the other air channels. I'm wondering now if it would be smart to run an endoscope or small pipe snake through the stove to make sure everything is in order.

Anyone else have an issue like this?
IMG-20140106-00154.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's odd. Seems like a good question for Jotul. I could see packing the left and right edge of the manifold, but not the center.

Yea, it's really odd. Hunting-thanks for the link! The material I found in the baffle is really fluffy/uncompressed. It's very different from the gasket material used to seat the baffle to the shelf. I might try to isolate the openings (left and right baffle, outside air, and primary air) one by one using plastic and apply some vacuum pressure to see if there is any other blockages/resistance inside the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.