Air Return Duct ceiling ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pjm123

Jan 8, 2017
Asheville, NC
I bought a new construction house in July, so this is obviously my first burning season.

general layout of the house: 2 story, 2400 sq ft; master on main level; 2 bedrooms plus large bonus room on 2nd level; main level has great room with 2-story ceiling; there is a balcony overlooking great room from second level hallway. There are 2 HVAC units (heat pump) - one serving each level.

We installed a Jotul F50 Rangley in the great room on the main level. I knew that it would not be super efficient with the high ceiling - I'm not worried about that. The main issue that I am trying to solve is the fact that the upstairs hallway (with the balcony overlooking great room) gets very warm when the stove is running, but little or none of this heat makes it into the bedrooms or bonus room (b/c of the transoms probably). The thermostat for the 2nd level is located in the hallway, so it reads a warm temp and therefore the 2nd level heat pump never kicks in. The result is that the bedrooms and bonus room stay frigid.

I presume the easiest solution would be to just move the thermostat from the hallway into one of the bedrooms. Or replace the thermostat with a smart thermostat with a remote temp sensor (like the EcoBee3) which could be placed in a cold bedroom. I may consider that in the end, but that solution doesn't help my heating efficiency (still not moving warm air that in the hallway/ceiling of great room into the cold rooms).

I thought that running the HVAC fan upstairs would help circulate the warm air into the cold bedrooms, but it turns out that their is a cold air return on the ceiling of each bedroom and the bonus room, but none in the hallway. So when the fan is on, it just recirculates cold air from the cold rooms.

So, my question is: Would putting an air return duct in the ceiling of the balcony/hallway or even in the great room ceiling (I understand that code requires it to be 10 ft away from the chimney) attached to the upstairs HVAC unit make a noticeable difference in the temp of the bedrooms/bonus room?

Thanks for any advice. If anybody thinks that a few pics of the layout would help, I am more than happy to attach.

Is there a ceiling fan running in the stove room? Have you tried placing a table or box fan on the floor at the far end of the upstairs hallway pointed toward the open balcony?

Is there a ceiling fan running in the stove room? Have you tried placing a table or box fan on the floor at the far end of the upstairs hallway pointed toward the open balcony?
Thanks for the reply. Yes, there is a ceiling fan in the great room above the stove (on low, counterclockwise). I have not tried a box fan on the floor of the balcony. Would that help get the warm balcony air into the bedrooms or just get warm air off balcony back into great room? Unfortunately, I don't think I want that added noise.

Try it as a test. Run the box or table fan on low speed. It will push cooler air down low toward the great room. The cooler air will be replaced with warmer air higher up.

Shouldn't the ceiling fan go clockwise to move colder air up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The setup in our home is very different from yours, but we have found that putting a small fan inside the doorway of a cold room and blowing the cold air out of the room seems to me to be most effective. If I understood your description correctly, your upstairs hallway is quite warm, but the rooms just off of it are cold. I'd try putting a small fan on low in one of the doorways blowing air out and see if it makes a difference.