air sealing and insert operation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trguitar

Feeling the Heat
Dec 2, 2011
Harvard, MA
Hey All.

I'm thinking about having an insulation company come in to do a blower door test, and really tighten up the house. Should I be concerned at all about the house getting too tight, and having to install an OAK?

Installing an OAK is not really something I want to have to do, especially with an insert.

Are my fears unfounded?

Alex

Yes, if the house is too tight, where will the air come from for combustion? If you don't install something to regulate the indoor/outdoor pressure, it maybe OK much of the time but you will probably have problems enough of the time that you will not be happy. I don't know the Lopi Freedom, so is there no easy way to install any other fresh air system?

Of course, it all depends upon your house. Even after re-insulation you may not be able to reach all the leaks and it may be fine.

So, what are alternatives to an OAK for the stove? Are there products one can install in some other area of the house to bring in fresh air?

If a retro-fit air-sealing job is sufficiently effective to cause you problems running an insert, you'll have very little to complain about.

TE

Status
Not open for further replies.