Air separator placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

huffdawg

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I am currently piping the near boiler and one end of my primary loop . The top of my primary loop will be higher than the top of my boiler circ loop . I will be tieing in my boiler circ loop to the bottom of my primary loop via closely spaced tees. I moved the air separator/expansion tank inlet that came with the EKO to the middle of highest spot in the primary loop.

My question is do I need another air separator on the top of the boiler circ loop ? or will the air eventualy find its way out to the primary loop xtractor

Thanx Huff

The best placement is just before a circulator with an expansion tank. This is hard to do because of WB mixing valves. So the default location is on the WB supply ( hot out ) pipe.
So by moving it higher and in the primary loop, where all the water will circulate seems logical.
Can you place it before your primary circulator so you get the point of lowest pressure too ?
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/40804/
Here is a reply from HR that addresses the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.