Air supply for stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guest5234

In the UK you must put in an air-vent for any stove over 5kw.....I have a suspended floor with air bricks around the house...would a grill in the floor next to the stove be a good idea for my air-vent? I really do not want to go through a wall.
Cheers.

Check with your local stove shop for local regulations.

I would want a closed system so that cold air doesn't come into the interior cavity. If you put in a grille in the floor, where would the fresh air supply be coming from? Is there a crawl space beneath the house? If yes, then that might be a location for air supply to a direct air supply connection, though the pipe would be visible behind the bottom stove stand opening.

BeGreen said:
Check with your local stove shop for local regulations.

I would want a closed system so that cold air doesn't come into the interior cavity. If you put in a grille in the floor, where would the fresh air supply be coming from? Is there a crawl space beneath the house? If yes, then that might be a location for air supply to a direct air supply connection, though the pipe would be visible behind the bottom stove stand opening.

Good space beneath house, and the grill would be to the side of the stove, what is this pipe you are talking about?

Neil, here in the US, some jurisdictions and some installations (mobile homes, in particular) require what's referred to as an Outside Air Kit (OAK)...a dedicated supply duct for combustion air to a wood-burning appliance completely separate from the space in which the appliance is installed. Thus, it must be a continuous duct from outside the space to a manufacturer-provided connection to the appliance. No provision is made to simply penetrate the living space in the vicinity of the stove and call that an outside air supply. I've no idea whatever just what might be required in Stratford Upon Avon...although I'd surely like to visit there for a time and do a little research. :) Rick

fossil said:
Neil, here in the US, some jurisdictions and some installations (mobile homes, in particular) require what's referred to as an Outside Air Kit (OAK)...a dedicated supply duct for combustion air to a wood-burning appliance completely separate from the space in which the appliance is installed. Thus, it must be a continuous duct from outside the space to a manufacturer-provided connection to the appliance. No provision is made to simply penetrate the living space in the vicinity of the stove and call that an outside air supply. I've no idea whatever just what might be required in Stratford Upon Avon...although I'd surely like to visit there for a time and do a little research. :) Rick

Hi Rick, all we need in the UK is a dedicated air supply if the appliance is over 5kw...this is normally provided by putting an air brick into an outside wall, I do not want to go through wall and as I have a suspended floor with a good airflow. I thought this would be a good source of ventilation into the room.

Yeah I guess, as an engineer, maybe I'm all hung up on the term "dedicated". A truly "dedicated" air supply for a stove would be ducted from an outside source right up to and affixed onto the stove. Perhaps that's not the requirement where you are. If a simple register through the floor to the crawl space/basement beneath (assuming it's got free communication with the outside) in the vicinity of the stove would satisfy your local requirement, then it might be a perfectly suitable solution...provided you have a means to close it when you don't want that airflow. I'd highly recommend that you run your ideas past somebody in the know who lives about 6,000 miles east of me. :lol: Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.