1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

air to air outside woodstove?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Lewisthepilgrim, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Lewisthepilgrim

Lewisthepilgrim Member

Loc:
    East Kingston NH
    according to nfpa i can't install a woodstove in my shop. so i was thinking about building a doghouse for my woodstove outside and using an air to air heat exchanger to blow the hot air into the garage.

anyone do this??

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ewdudley

ewdudley Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Cayuga County NY
    I've seen one in person, it was outside out behind an attached garage in a stockaded area with a wood pile, trash cans and whatnot, looked like it was working out pretty well.

Of course there are others that may seem a little hinky.

woodfurnacevan.jpg
  3. mass_burner

mass_burner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass

there are plenty of stoves in work shops, why can't you do it?
  4. arbutus

arbutus Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Michigan UP
    I have seen two installations like this. Both were wood furnaces designed for central warm air systems.
    One was specifically made for outdoor installations, and had insulated ducting installed above ground.

The other was a little closer to the green van pictured above, in that it was installed in an uninsulated metal shed, sat on the dirt, was immediately adjacent to an old trailer, and just had some crummy ductwork cobbled up to blow the heated air into the side of the trailer - not professional at all.

Both installations provided adequate heat.
  5. Lewisthepilgrim

Lewisthepilgrim Member

Loc:
    East Kingston NH
    So I pulled what was on my towns website for installing wood burning stoves.

"The governing building codes in East Kingston are those of the 2003 International Code Council and the NFPA Life Safety Code."

IIRC there are no open flames (wood stoves) allowed in workshops/garages. ( I have a 1 car detached garage with attached shop in the back)

Can anyone shed some light on this subject? (BTW all of my flammables are stored elsewhere and I rarely have a car in there)

BTW that Van is hilarious
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013