air to air outside woodstove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 5, 2011
NH
according to nfpa i can't install a woodstove in my shop. so i was thinking about building a doghouse for my woodstove outside and using an air to air heat exchanger to blow the hot air into the garage.

anyone do this??

I've seen one in person, it was outside out behind an attached garage in a stockaded area with a wood pile, trash cans and whatnot, looked like it was working out pretty well.

Of course there are others that may seem a little hinky.

woodfurnacevan.jpg

according to nfpa i can't install a woodstove in my shop. so i was thinking about building a doghouse for my woodstove outside and using an air to air heat exchanger to blow the hot air into the garage.

anyone do this??

there are plenty of stoves in work shops, why can't you do it?

I have seen two installations like this. Both were wood furnaces designed for central warm air systems.
One was specifically made for outdoor installations, and had insulated ducting installed above ground.

The other was a little closer to the green van pictured above, in that it was installed in an uninsulated metal shed, sat on the dirt, was immediately adjacent to an old trailer, and just had some crummy ductwork cobbled up to blow the heated air into the side of the trailer - not professional at all.

Both installations provided adequate heat.

So I pulled what was on my towns website for installing wood burning stoves.

"The governing building codes in East Kingston are those of the 2003 International Code Council and the NFPA Life Safety Code."

IIRC there are no open flames (wood stoves) allowed in workshops/garages. ( I have a 1 car detached garage with attached shop in the back)

Can anyone shed some light on this subject? (BTW all of my flammables are stored elsewhere and I rarely have a car in there)

BTW that Van is hilarious

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.