Air vent plumbing question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dogwood

Minister of Fire
Mar 22, 2009
Western VA
I am installing a 1-1/2 inch vertical pipe, which will be connected to a horizontal 1-1/2 inch pipe by a 90 degree elbow. This is at a high point in the system. Would it be acceptable plumbing practice to substitute a 1-1/2 tee for the 1-1/2 elbow, for the pupose of putting in an auto air vent. Or would it be better to have the elbow followed immediately by a tee for the air vent? Maybe it makes no difference.

Mike

Not really sure what you are describing. Maybe a diagram would help?

I would use a tee and install an air vent like you describe. If you are talking black iron fittings you can get a a fitting called a heel 90 (or vent 90) which is a regular 90 with a 1/2" tapping for a vent or drain.

Or, called a tap-tee. Could you use a manual coin vent for the air removal ?
Rob

Thanks Morgan, RobC, and Nate379. I'll see if I can find an 1-1/2 black iron heel 90, vent 90 or tap-tee) to order online. I already have a few 1/2 inch tapped Watts Auto Vents to use so, that fitting should fit the bill perfectly. I'll be using them instead of coin vents since they are already purchased.

Mike

Morgan, Any idea where I can locate that black iron fitting you mentioned? I've looked on the internet for an hour for a 1-1/2" black iron heel (or vent) 90 with a 1/2' tapping and can't find one. I've seen them in pvc but not black iron. Any suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.

Mike

dogwood said:
Any idea where I can locate that black iron fitting you mentioned? I've looked on the internet for an hour for a 1-1/2" black iron heel (or vent) 90 with a 1/2' tapping and can't find one. Ive seen them in pvc but not black iron. Any suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.

It could be also be referred to as a 1 1/2 x 1/2 x 1 1/2 reducing tee. F W Webb maybe. I gave up and drilled and tapped into the thick part of an elbow down through the threads and went with a 1/8" pipe coin vent. Some have used a tee and then drilled and tapped a plug for 1/8" pipe threads. Or in your case, a 1 1/2 tee with a 1 1/2 x 1/2 reducing bushing.

If its on a zone then just a bleeder is standard and recommended, all they eventually do is leak sometime down the road, if near boiler good and with valve for future service. You should only have air in the system for initial fill up. A high quality micro bubble air separator near the boiler ( primary loop) is the standard and best way to remove air from a system. Removing air is an extremely important part of reaching the boiler life expectancy.

Yes, every hydronic system should have a good micro bubble air separator, they are expensive but they work very well. As for automatic air vents versus manual vents, I always install auto vents for simplicity, but I valve them with a 1/4" ball valve, once the system is filled and purged I close the valves. Air vents are used for filling of the system and the short period there after of getting rid of the initial trapped air. After that the micro bubbler will take over. Also if this is a closed system, once purged of air I always shut the feed valve. Hydronic systems should be protected by a low water cutoff, they are expensive, but....if a closed hydronic system needs makeup water there is a leak somewhere. The continual addition of oxygenated feed water will take the 30+ year life cycle of your boiler and turn it into 15 or less.

Say Morgan, who manufactures the black iron heel 90 with the 1/2 inch fitting, or where did you find them?

Mike

You can call a F W Webb location and they could probably send part.
The Bellingham MA store has competent staff.
508 966 4999.

I just go to the local wholesalers, which would be EMCO or Wolseley in my area. Being a less used fitting in the trade make sure you compare prices with a tee and bushing. It sometimes surprises me the prices of odd ball fittings compared to commonly purchased similar fittings.

Appreciate it again Morgan and Rob, Eliot and AlaskaPF185. I do have a Taco 4900 Series Air Separator too, for just the location you describe AlaskaPF185.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.