Airbrush Advice for Cake Decorating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
OK, so my wife has decided that cake decorating is the hobby she wants to pursue. Looks like we'll be eating a whole lotta cake!

She has used, and really likes, the Airmaster by KopyKake, which seems to be the baker's choice (the classes near us, grocery stores, Buddy on Cake Boss all use them exclusively), but it's almost $300 and seems to be limited in its abilities.

What I know: we need a gravity/side feed unit that can run on very low pressure (8-10 psi). The Aztek 4709 seems to work well, but she would rather have a single action (suggestions here?). The Harbor Freight compressor that gets good reviews is $60, so I'd like to spend around $100 or less on the brush.

Anyone have one or have advice?

S

Ok, I never thought I would see this question like this show up. I carve songbirds by hobby and use an airbrush during the final painting. I assume that in cake decorating it will be food coloring that will be the medium here. I use watered down acrylics on my birds. I started with an Aztek with side cup several years ago. At a bird carving show a vendor was selling Badger 100-sg airbrushes. It is the size of a fountain pen with a built in reservoir on top that holds about a 1/2 teaspoon of medium in it. It is perfect for my needs. When you need to switch colors, dump the color out, run water through it. No cup to mess with.

I used to use an Ingersoll-Randcompressor that I kep on having to shut off. I bought a Badger 180-11 air compressor with auto-shut-off. It is made for airbrushes. Compressor runs only when you use the airbrushes and is amazingly quiet. I don't remember the prices. I think I bought the compressor at Charette in Woburn several years ago. These are both great tools. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.