Q&A airtight fireplace or stove-define the term

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Are you able to, and would you, explain how a TRULY airtight stove, fireplace insert,and or freestanding wood burner appliance, functions? i.e. how and where does it get combustion air, how does it exaust etc. If you are unable to fulfill my request can and would you refer me some way that I may find this ?

Answer:

The word "airtight" does not really mean anything. An airtight stove would, of course, not burn at all.

Todays stoves could be described as "closed combustion, air limited appliances", meaning you can control the amount of air feeding the fire and thereby control the heat output and length of burn. They also have features that allow them to burn the wood efficiently and produce less smoke and pollution than earlier models. You'll find a lot of information about these appliances all over our web site, including the articles on catalytic and non-cat stoves at https://www.hearth.com/what/specific.html

Status
Not open for further replies.