Ait tight Fireplace doors???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnywarm

Minister of Fire
Sep 12, 2007
Connecticut
Will the Air tight fireplace door be as efficient as a wood burning insert??

Thanks and happy New Year everyone.

john

In most cases they won't even come close. I also have my reservations about these due to improper fireplace construction. If a fireplace is built incorrectly (as many are), this may cause the temps on nearby combustibles to rise dangerously.

In the case of a perfectly built interior fireplace these would probably do a pretty good job....less so on exterior fireplaces, where much of the additional heat will warm the great outdoors.

Not as efficient as wood stove insert, but I say more efficient than regular doors. Especially if you have a heatform/heatalator type masonry fireplace with outside combustion air like mine. Another thing I like about my airtight doors is they keep the cold down drafts out of the house when the fireplace is not burning.

I have a regular built indoor fireplace with the "bi-fold doors" and the adjustable vent on the bottom. I would need to keep the vent opened a little to vent the fire. No outside vent at all.

I was hoping that i could control the fire with the flue vent ans the bottom vent like you do with the insert.

johnnywarm said:
Will the Air tight fireplace door be as efficient as a wood burning insert??

Thanks and happy New Year everyone.

john

I forgot to add that the door i'm looking at has the vent on the bottom of the doors. it has that option.

Have you ever seen the masonry behind and around the firebox. Someone posted some pretty scary pictures over the summer of a house fire from a masonry fireplace. There was lumber touching or almost touching the rear of the firebox area which was not very thick. With lot of airflow through the fireplace it would not get that hot but if you restrict the airflow trying to extract maximum heat all the masonry heats up as well.

jtp10181 said:
Have you ever seen the masonry behind and around the firebox. Someone posted some pretty scary pictures over the summer of a house fire from a masonry fireplace. There was lumber touching or almost touching the rear of the firebox area which was not very thick. With lot of airflow through the fireplace it would not get that hot but if you restrict the airflow trying to extract maximum heat all the masonry heats up as well.

I'll post pics tomorrow evening of the fire place. the back side of it is in the Garage.

What makes the Insert so efficient. I thought it was just a metal box that slides inside of the fire place.

I am looking at the drotlet and the Breckwell inserts.

The inserts will have a secondary burn system or a catalytic combustor. This extracts maximum heat out of the wood you burn.

Its not just a metal box, it is an engineered heat producing EPA approved wood stove insert.

A big difference with the stove and insert is not only the burn (as above) but the HEAT EXCHANGE into the room. Inserts have a double chamber around all sides, so heat from the enhanced combustions is sent out into the room. With the doors, the only heat will be radiated through the doors and soaked through the masonry.

As far as wood in the walls, keep in mind that applies to the sides (where the fireplace may touch your wall) and also to any headers in the wall above the fireplace and mantel. Most fireplaces have wood fairly close in one direction of another.

I'm not saying these doors have no value - in an interior fireplace with the proper clearances, they might do a decent job. But I would hate to see someone compound a fire hazard with them.

I want to thank you both for your answers. it looks like it will be an insert with the chimney being inspected first.

Thank's again John

Status
Not open for further replies.