Alaska wood burning insert surround?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dalet

Feb 18, 2009
Northern Virginia
About a year ago, I was given an old, large wood burning insert made by the Alaska Stove Co. It was in pretty bad shape, but I cleaned it up and had it professionally installed. It works great for the size of my home (900 Sq. Ft.). It has two solid iron doors with the words Kodiak Stove written across the front. My question is this; Where can I find a surround for this insert? I have searched all over the internet with no luck. Is this something I will need to have fabricated, or is there somewhere I can purchase surrounds? The width of the fireplace opening is 40.5 inches and the height of the opening is 27.5 inches. The width of the opnening needed for the stove is 28 inches wide by 23.5 inches high. Any suggestions?

I suspect a custom unit may need to be made. It doesn't have to be fancy. One could be cut up pretty quickly out of a half sheet of 22 ga sheetmetal. Lightly sand the surface, paint with high temp paint. If you want it to have a trim edge, metal picture molding is available at frame shops or online. Or you could just have the sheetmetal shop hem (fold over) the outside edge. If you decide on the hem, be sure that is added to the final cut dimension.

Status
Not open for further replies.