alaskan mill

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
kenny chaos said:
Flatbedford said:
kenny chaos said:
It very well could be a diamond in the rough.

Very rough!! It would be tough to find somebody who even knew how to sharpen it.

I guess it all depends on one's skill sets and knowledge of old mills.

huh well I can show you the thread this came from and what other millers have to say about it other than myself. TRYING TO GET FURNITURE WOOD THAT NEEDs TO BE STRIGHT AND ABLE TO BE PLAIN AND EDGE. dont barn siding

southbound said:
A man misses a lot around here if he gets busy for a week or two.. A 880 ??? Must be nice..If you can't tell I'm jealous....

hey nice to see you back find us one of those monster oak and lets rock and roll..

smokinjay said:
[ TRYING TO GET FURNITURE WOOD THAT NEEDs TO BE STRIGHT AND ABLE TO BE PLAIN AND EDGE. dont barn siding

And everyone knows a chainsaw is better for that than
a real sawmill?
Your justifications are ridiculous and unnecessary.
Just use it and give us some pics.
Ever see an M7?

kenny chaos said:
smokinjay said:
[ TRYING TO GET FURNITURE WOOD THAT NEEDs TO BE STRIGHT AND ABLE TO BE PLAIN AND EDGE. dont barn siding

And everyone knows a chainsaw is better for that than
a real sawmill?
Your justifications are ridiculous and unnecessary.
Just use it and give us some pics.
Ever see an M7?

chainsaw mill,not mine

Attachments

• milling.jpg
    milling.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 269
smokinjay said:
chainsaw mill

Straiten those edges a bit and my planer would flatten those out in no time.

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
chainsaw mill

Jags those aren't mine my saw getting fitted with the 3/8 .063 should be ready in about an hour just responding to kenny he fills like my money would have been better suited to a whole different game he just cant seem to figure the quality and the shear size of the slabs you get with the Alaskan set up.

smokinjay said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:
chainsaw mill

Jags those aren't mine my saw getting fitted with the 3/8 .063 should be ready in about an hour just responding to kenny he fill like my money would have been better suited to a whole different game he just cant seem to figure the quality and the shear size of the slabs you get with the Alaskan set up.

My feeling is that you guys are talking about two different results and uses. But to be fair Jay, keep in mind that this is old hat stuff for Kenny. Been there - done that when it comes to milling (as I assume from previous posts). You can pick pecans by hand and you can pick pecans with a shaker, both fill the basket at the end of the day.

smokinjay said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:
chainsaw mill

Jags those aren't mine my saw getting fitted with the 3/8 .063 should be ready in about an hour just responding to kenny he fills like my money would have been better suited to a whole different game he just cant seem to figure the quality and the shear size of the slabs you get with the Alaskan set up.

Now you're putting words in my mouth.
I've seen my share of slabs and those don't surprise or impress me.
As far as something more suitable for your money, how about a hooker? :lol:
Remember the Cowboy Junkies.
Thanks-
Your friend-
Kenny

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:
chainsaw mill

Jags those aren't mine my saw getting fitted with the 3/8 .063 should be ready in about an hour just responding to kenny he fill like my money would have been better suited to a whole different game he just cant seem to figure the quality and the shear size of the slabs you get with the Alaskan set up.

My feeling is that you guys are talking about two different results and uses. But to be fair Jay, keep in mind that this is old hat stuff for Kenny. Been there - done that when it comes to milling (as I assume from previous posts). You can pick pecans by hand and you can pick pecans with a shaker, both fill the basket at the end of the day.

yes sir and trying to keep that in mind but the thread is not about what mill to get! thats already done and looking to slab monster's and whatever else comes along but none of the band mills are going to do that without a very hudge investment I have time and dont need to crank out a few 1000 board ft. a day. Couple hundred is more than enough for me! And have a 880 to drop a few that I havent been able to at this point. So the title is "alaskan mill" not how to make a mill with your bare hands out of nothing. And its great kenny can its just dont for me and what I want to do. Try getting a 44 red oak up on the platt fourm. just face it the a

smokinjay said:
So the title is "alaskan mill" not how to make a mill with your bare hands out of nothing.

Hell, just to justify buying an 880 is enough for me. :lol:

smokinjay said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:
chainsaw mill

yes sir and trying to keep that in mind but the thread is not about what mill to get! thats already done and looking to slab monster's and whatever else comes along but none of the band mills are going to do that without a very hudge investment I have time and dont need to crank out a few 1000 board ft. a day. Couple hundred is more than enough for me! And have a 880 to drop a few that I havent been able to at this point. So the title is "alaskan mill" not how to make a mill with your bare hands out of nothing.

Definitely a hooker. :lol:

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
So the title is "alaskan mill" not how to make a mill with your bare hands out of nothing.

I got a 441 I was leary about but seem to manage okay with it.
I'd hook an 880 to my loader though.

Jags said:
smokinjay said:

yep me too but really would not get used much in the cross cuts and been collect ting logs so put something that I can now offer that no one in my area offers! I have 1/2 dozen stumps to break it in.

kenny chaos said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:

I think that the boys/girls that designed that saw had big hairy knuckle brutes in mind.

Jags said:
kenny chaos said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:

I think that the boys/girls that designed that saw had big hairy knuckle brutes in mind.

Jay? You got the hairy knucks?
Jags said it, not me.

smokinjay said:
I have 1/2 dozen stumps to break it in.

Just a thought: do they (stihl) recommend breaking that saw in with a more "traditional" use? Or does it have any importance in any way? I'm just thinking back to old school when we built motors and the recommended "break in" methods we used.

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
I have 1/2 dozen stumps to break it in.

Just a thought: do they (stihl) recommend breaking that saw in with a more "traditional" use? Or does it have any importance in any way? I'm just thinking back to old school when we built motors and the recommended "break in" methods we used.

No break in on the 441.

kenny chaos said:
Jags said:
kenny chaos said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:

Jags said it, not me.

lol I just bought the rogain a smearing it on my hands as I type! I know I should have bought a saw 2lbs lighter...

smokinjay said:
kenny chaos said:
Jags said:
kenny chaos said:
Jags said:
smokinjay" date="1272562876 said:

Jags said it, not me.

lol I just bought the rogain a smearing it on my hands as I type! I know I should have bought a saw 2lbs lighter...

Hahahahahahahahah.

blah blah blah blah blah. this is all just white noise. When do you get your PROPER bar/chain in the mail so you can mill something already.....

Danno77 said:
blah blah blah blah blah. this is all just white noise. When do you get your PROPER bar/chain in the mail so you can mill something already.....

I will be stumping here soon and break it in. 3 more very large tulips poplars to go and that's what I want to start milling first its softer and should be perfect for break-in. One mill is being sent back to baileys and another should be here today to put together tonight. The saw is still at the dealer getting set up right I hope!

Status
Not open for further replies.