1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Alcohol question, help please.

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by dswitham, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schlot

schlot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Iowa
    Grisu...glad you said that. My "wine snob" friends and relatives still go by the room temperature standard.

I just got an Alamos Malbec for my wife and she liked it.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. remkel

remkel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southwest NH
    For the beer- Narragansett cans

For the wine- Boone's Farm

That should drive the company right out of the house!
  3. dswitham

dswitham Member

Loc:
    western ME
    Thank you for all the responses. We have actually had these friends over multiple times for meals, games, etc. and they have been happy with water, coffee, etc. I just thought it would be nice to have a little extra. I didn't want to ask them because I knew they would have a fit that we wanted to buy something to go with supper, so I thought I would just surprise them. I know he could careless what is served for drinks as he is just looking forward to the steak. He knows we just filled our freezer with beef that we buy from a local farmer who raises them all natural and grass fed. :)

My husband grew up in a house where alcohol wasn't consumed at all, so he is even more clueless about it than I am. I have finally convinced him after 19 years that a little won't hurt. :lol: So we have slowly been sampling different wines to see if we can find some that we like. My parents used to share a wine with me when growing up that I remember liking, but they don't make it anymore. >:-(

Of course after I posted the question it dawned on me to ask one of their sons. So he responded back and I will go with a Sam Adams for him and Woodchuck hard cider for her. Also, I will get a Cabernet for us to try. Of course the son I asked is bummed he can't come as he is away at college. :lol:
  4. nate379

nate379 Guest

There you go. That is all I allow in my fridge.... Well ok.. any Molson... and Labatt Blue as well.

BUT if I went over and the hosts offered something to drink like a beer or wine, I'd say no unless they were drinking as well. Would make me feel out of place.. I'd just assume have a glass of water instead of looking like an alcholic if I'm the only one drinking.
  5. mrfjsf

mrfjsf Member

Loc:
    Wash. Pa
    I deal with picky drinkers quite often when we entertain. I drink quite the quantity of beer but Ive never gotten into micro or specialty brewed beers so I cannot give much advice if he is one of "those guys" lol. I cannot drink real "hoppy" beers, most are just too bitter tasting for me. My beers of choice for dinner are basically anything Canadian (molson, labatt, etc) and im quite the Yuengling fan. You really cant go wrong with any of those. If you want mexican beer, Modelo or Negra Modelo (dark, rich) is a good choice as well as DosXX Lager for the more traditional mex beer taste.

As far as wine goes, im a little more experienced in this section. I have friends that are wine snobs and friends that think "the best wine comes out of a box", and ive been able to appease both types with Menage a' Trois Red. It is a blend of 3 grapes (Cabernet, Merlot and Zinfandel In my opinion, its a big jump above "boxed wine", but not quite "wine snob". Meaning someone who thinks fine red wine is the worst thing they have ever tasted, usually loves it. It pairs well with any red meat dish, especially steak. Sometimes it can be hard to find, but just go to your local wine/liquor store and ask. Its relatively inexpensive ($12/bottle) and really does appeal to almost anyone who likes wine.
  6. branchburner

branchburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Good call!
  7. Fifelaker

Fifelaker Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Mi
    Na colt 45 and md20/20 :lol:
  8. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I just want to be around when ya tell the clerk that folks online suggest that you and your friends have a little Menage a’ Trois.
  9. mrfjsf

mrfjsf Member

Loc:
    Wash. Pa
    Haha! BB, the first time I asked for it in the wine store I had the biggest grin on my face, the lady waiting on me gave me a "your bad" look lol
  10. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    I think the Menage is way too sweet, though sweet seems popular now. My wife loves it. It is a bit better when it breathes a bit.
  11. smoke show

smoke show Guest

Elegant ;-)

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.