Alcohol question, help please.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Grisu...glad you said that. My "wine snob" friends and relatives still go by the room temperature standard.

I just got an Alamos Malbec for my wife and she liked it.

For the beer- Narragansett cans

For the wine- Boone's Farm

That should drive the company right out of the house!

Thank you for all the responses. We have actually had these friends over multiple times for meals, games, etc. and they have been happy with water, coffee, etc. I just thought it would be nice to have a little extra. I didn't want to ask them because I knew they would have a fit that we wanted to buy something to go with supper, so I thought I would just surprise them. I know he could careless what is served for drinks as he is just looking forward to the steak. He knows we just filled our freezer with beef that we buy from a local farmer who raises them all natural and grass fed. :)

My husband grew up in a house where alcohol wasn't consumed at all, so he is even more clueless about it than I am. I have finally convinced him after 19 years that a little won't hurt. :lol: So we have slowly been sampling different wines to see if we can find some that we like. My parents used to share a wine with me when growing up that I remember liking, but they don't make it anymore. >:-(

Of course after I posted the question it dawned on me to ask one of their sons. So he responded back and I will go with a Sam Adams for him and Woodchuck hard cider for her. Also, I will get a Cabernet for us to try. Of course the son I asked is bummed he can't come as he is away at college. :lol:

There you go. That is all I allow in my fridge.... Well ok.. any Molson... and Labatt Blue as well.

thenorth said:
Pick any red wine.........................
as for the beer, i would get a 24 of Canadian, or Carling...............both taste very nice.....

BUT if I went over and the hosts offered something to drink like a beer or wine, I'd say no unless they were drinking as well. Would make me feel out of place.. I'd just assume have a glass of water instead of looking like an alcholic if I'm the only one drinking.

I deal with picky drinkers quite often when we entertain. I drink quite the quantity of beer but Ive never gotten into micro or specialty brewed beers so I cannot give much advice if he is one of "those guys" lol. I cannot drink real "hoppy" beers, most are just too bitter tasting for me. My beers of choice for dinner are basically anything Canadian (molson, labatt, etc) and im quite the Yuengling fan. You really cant go wrong with any of those. If you want mexican beer, Modelo or Negra Modelo (dark, rich) is a good choice as well as DosXX Lager for the more traditional mex beer taste.

As far as wine goes, im a little more experienced in this section. I have friends that are wine snobs and friends that think "the best wine comes out of a box", and ive been able to appease both types with Menage a' Trois Red. It is a blend of 3 grapes (Cabernet, Merlot and Zinfandel In my opinion, its a big jump above "boxed wine", but not quite "wine snob". Meaning someone who thinks fine red wine is the worst thing they have ever tasted, usually loves it. It pairs well with any red meat dish, especially steak. Sometimes it can be hard to find, but just go to your local wine/liquor store and ask. Its relatively inexpensive ($12/bottle) and really does appeal to almost anyone who likes wine.

mrfjsf said:
ive been able to appease both types with Menage a' Trois Red.

Good call!

I just want to be around when ya tell the clerk that folks online suggest that you and your friends have a little Menage a’ Trois.

BrotherBart said:
I just want to be around when ya tell the clerk that folks online suggest that you and your friends have a little Menage a’ Trois.

Haha! BB, the first time I asked for it in the wine store I had the biggest grin on my face, the lady waiting on me gave me a "your bad" look lol

Elegant ;-)

Attachments

• maddog.jpg
    maddog.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 169
Status
Not open for further replies.