Alcove framing question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, big change. Looking at the pics the TN19 may come now standard with heat shields and they therefore retested it? That could be the reason it is now a bit wider than before.

Oh ho, this is now the TN-20 series A, the specs I posted are for the TN19.

Must have happened recently. They still list it as TN19 on their website.

Last edited:
The diagram I posted for the alcove installation of the TN19 was with the optional side shields. It looks like they made them permanent now and I am wondering what changed? 50% is quite a significant drop.

The TN19 listing on the website could just be an oversight by the marketing team. I'll let them know and will ask what are the differences.

Be sure to ask about the TN20, not the TN19. I have an email into their marketing dept. and will let you know what they say.

Looks like you are good to go with a TN20. Word back from PE:
"The stove dimensions and clearances have changed, the TN20 has reduced dimensions. There is no insulation added to the sides, it is a different firebox that has a different heat signature."
They have also have a new website up for the stove: http://truenorthstoves.com/

That said I don't know if there are any PE dealers in GA. Maybe check with the regional distributor:
Total Hearth & Grill
502 Wilmont Dr
Mount Sterling, KY, 40353, US
859-498-7457

Last edited:
The closest dealer is going to be about 5 1/2 hours. I will just have to make a trip to go get it. No big deal. I really appreciate you helping me out. Would have been a disaster without the assistance of people on the website. I noticed in the manual it says on ember protection a k value of 23.7 is needed. I have 5 layers of durock next gen with the R rating of 1.95. Not sure how to compare that to K value to determine if I am ok there.

Ember protection usually means any non-combustible surface like a piece of sheet metal. Why they needed to put the k-value in there I don't know. 5 layers of durock is certainly plenty.

Btw. The ventilated wall shield are not necessary with the TN. If you have not done them yet, that should save you some work.

I already have the durock on the wall unfortunately. But I'm planning on wrapping the inside with tile so I would have had to buy it anyways. Just wouldn't have had to use the spacers and they were very aggravating trying to hang by myself. Anyways, you guys were very helpful thank you for taking time out of your day to assist me.

Reactions: Grisu
Status
Not open for further replies.