Alcove size needed in Calif for wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Heidi 429

Oct 29, 2022
Magalia Ca
We are doing a new build and want to build an alcove for a 29 1/2 in tall, 18 3/4 in deep 24 1/8 in wide wood stove. Wood stove store guy says our alcove must be 73 in tall!! Is that right???

Yes. This is a frequent question. Many stoves require 84" ceiling height for an alcove.
When you say new build, is this a new house or just a new stove installation? Why the alcove?

Yes. This is a frequent question. Many stoves require 84" ceiling height for an alcove.
When you say new build, is this a new house or just a new stove installation? Why the alcove?
As a design element. Also if we left it freestanding it would need 2 1/2 feet of clearance behind it making it stick out 4 1/2 feet into the great room ( it’s small) and we have no corners to place it in.

As a design element. Also if we left it freestanding it would need 2 1/2 feet of clearance behind it making it stick out 4 1/2 feet into the great room ( it’s small) and we have no corners to place it in.
What stove is this for that needs 2.5' of rear clearance but can fit in an alcove that small?

Reactions: stoveliker
See section 8.1.5, right hand table.

Reactions: EbS-P
I dont want to sound negative but I just dont quite understand the point of purposely building a hole and stuffing a stove in the hole and expecting 100% heat results, I get the larger alcoves, especially when they are accented w/ stone work, but small ones seem a bit useless to me and in the overall stove performance

Ya new house def don't do a small one . or at all def do stone the whole way. having to deal with one now that some one did that way.

Looks like it has the same firebox as the Osburn 1700. Alcove ceiling height is specified at 78". The rear clearance is 14" in this type of installation.

Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 9.36.58 AM.png

There are a couple of workarounds, but they require that the entire alcove be built out of non-combustible materials. This means no wood studs, drywall, etc.

Reactions: EbS-P