Alderlea draft issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spray paint it with any high temp paint. Should be fine if it is clean. It will be tough to match the existing stuff so I would plan to paint the whole thing. Lay out a tarp to protect the roof from overspray.

In my area, if the chimney pipe extends more than 5' above the roof penetration then you need the barce installed. I went with 4 feet to allow easy sweeping and so I wouldn't need the brace.

I used eye hooks, 3 cables, turn buckles, and plumbers strapping to secure it to the roof. Much cheaper than the kits. I'm thinking about using a more neutral color like driftwood. Black stands out too much.

Tone said:
I used eye hooks, 3 cables, turn buckles, and plumbers strapping to secure it to the roof. Much cheaper than the kits. I'm thinking about using a more neutral color like driftwood. Black stands out too much.

Tell me you set those eye hooks into rafters and not just the decking? Obvious I know, but some do do that.
And use a good urethane caulk in the holes (screw eye hooks into holes filled with the caulk), and caulk around the eye holes at roof surface also.
If you used silicone, prepare to do it again every few years as the shingles shrink & the silicone come loose with the granulars its stuck to.
Honestly, silicone & shingles don't last long mated together.

Anyways, how that sucker drafting now???????

When you paint the piping, make sure you clean the oil off it first.

Yes, I put the eye hooks into the rafters and I used marine goop around the eye hooks. It's drafting good. Not so powerful to get a roaring fire, but easy to control once it's going. Lighting the fire in a cold stove is a bit challenging. The upside down method is a must. Once the setup is lit, there is no opening the door until the coaling stage without smoke getting in the room. Also a very quick hand is needed when refueling. I have less than ten seconds after the first log is placed on the coals before smoke is coming out the door. The fire box will hold six good size logs no problem but getting them in there quick enough is another story. I don't think it is so much a draft problem as the design of the stove. The top of the door is nearly the same height as the top of the firebox. Nice for viewing the fire but little head room for smoke. I guess more draft would fix it but I wouldn't want to compromise slowing the fire way down for an all night burn, which it does well.

Full review and pics to come this weekend.

Good to hear. Keep in mind, when you load the new splits in, mine even does this..... the new splits will smoke, this cannot be avoided. Just have enough there on hand, load them up and close the door. I only get this when puttin on a low bed of coals. If I have a blaze going, or a good bed of HOT coals, then its not so much an issue.
Reading your other thread, I didn't even think of the ash at the intake jets, sorry man, that one just slipped my mind. I keep around 2"-3" of ash depending on how lazy I am. I do take my lil shovel and clear out the first 3"-6" in front of firebox out and keep the area right in front of the intake air manifold clear. I think some of this you will get better at after this season of burning, you need to learn your stove and how it works best for you. Once you get a season of burning in, next season you will know exactly what to do to get it how you like it. Just enjoy and get to know your stove. Its all good from here. Congrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.