Alderlea T6 Installation/Operation Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sbohlen

Hearth Supporter
Sep 18, 2008
Mid Coast Maine
OK. I am preparing to install my T6. I have a couple questions. First, There is no indicator on the airflow level. looking at the mechanism, it looks like moving the lever to the left means MORE air and to the right means less. For some reason this seems counter intuitive to me. Could another T6 owner confirm. Nothing in the manual.

Also, I got a bag with 4 carriage bolts in it. No mention of them in the manual either. Does anyone know what they are for?

Another post told me I needed to remove the 4 inch knockout in the bottom of the stove. I dont see this nor does the manual mention it. Any ideas?

That's correct for the air control. It would have been nice for them to have made it like the Summit with an arrow.

I don't know what the carriage bolts are for.

Info for Combustion air is on page 14. The knockout is located on the bottom, back center of the ashpan.

I dunno zip about the T-6, but just a thought...if it's a stove that's approved for mobile home installation, maybe the extra 4 carriage bolts are to fasten it to the floor, if the feet on the legs have a provision for that. Like I said, dunno, just a thought. Rick

Carriage bolts screw into the feet if you have an uneven floor. The only reason I made this connection is that I looked at the threaded holes and figured why don't they tell you what thread size it is so I don't have to lift the stove to measure it. Then it hit me.... duhhh.

No idea about the lever. Not too thrilled with the manual.

Got it thanks. Its sure nice having a T6 expert on this forum. My knockout was already Knocked out... Also, I put this in one of my other topics. I have a 40 foot chimney. I have a damper on my clarion that I use to slow down the burn since I cannot control combustion air real well. Do I need a damper with the T6?

Yep, the bolts are for leveling the legs. I totally agree on the lever... it's sort of hidden and cheap feeling and could use some labeling.

Great catch DNF. I would have never figured that one out. I would be sitting there with a blazing fire thinking geee I wonder what those extra bolts were for? It would have made it hard to sleep while the stove was going.

If you have any 90s or the such then I would say you do not need a damper but if this is a strait up 40' then I would put one on. The T6 is very well behaved but thats some chimney. I actually like the air control mainly because it is such an easy lever to move and you instantly know if it is wide open. I have had many stoves that were difficult to adjust some of the screw air controls had to be carefully watched to see the setting.. You will get used to it. You could always mark the shelf above.

I'd leave the damper in the pipe. 40' is a mighty stack. If you don't need it, leave it open, but I wouldn't be surprised if you actually end up using it.

PS: There aren't many Alderlea T6 experts here, Tom Oyen being the exception. We're only a little ahead of you learning about the stove. But there are a lot of Summit owners out there and at heart, that's what this stove is.

Thanks everyone. I will leave the damper in just in case. I have one 90 into the wall/chimney. While the chimney is 40 feet my stove ties in about 30 feet below the top of the chimney. Going to buy some new stove pipe tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.