Aldine Open Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kredd96

Oct 1, 2010
Midwest
Hello,

I have attached a pic of a woodburning insert in my home. We have not used it because we are not sure if it is safe.
Is this thing worth any money or should we scrap it. I have more pics but I was not able to attach more than one file at a time here. The upper portion of the insert I have (in the process of removing insert). I think it was buit in the 1920's or 1930's. Thanks

Attachments

• DSC01541.jpg
    DSC01541.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 279
I can't really tell if it is totally enclosed like a modern insert or if it is simply an insert for an open fireplace. If it is an open fireplace insert I would replace it just from the simple fact that fireplaces are not that efficient at all . . . come to think of it . . . I would replace it regardless since a modern insert or free standing woodstove bought today would be a lot more efficient than whatever is in there currently and you would know it is new and safe.

Contact the folks at: http://www.urbanremainschicago.com/ , they may be able to help you assess it's value. You never know, those deco pieces can be in high demand at times.

I would replace it with a new EPA stove too. You'll get peace of mind and a lot better heating.

Status
Not open for further replies.