Alittle walnut and a Fiskars X27

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

warno

Minister of Fire
Jan 3, 2015
illinois
My dad had a walnut tree on his property dieing awfully close to his garage. So, he had a service top the tree then he took the rest down and bucked it. I needed to go get a load of wood anyway and he was out of town today so I took the X27 with me and put it to work. Dad has a 10 ton hydro splitter on the garage but I felt the need to hand split it all.

20160213_152526_zps3fsng7ed.jpg

20160213_152539_zps9lwkhf7z.jpg

I would hand-split walnut too.. I bet it split itself before the X-27 even hit it...

Sometimes I feel like walnut could probably be split with a butter knife...

It's a pretty easy wood to work with I love the look of it. It's a great wood to do wood working with as well, very pretty.

Burning two year old black walnut as we speak! Excellent firewood!

House is nice and toasty; outside is in the high 20's with a biting wind. Not going out today!

I'm still new to hand splitting and I know walnut basically falls apart so I thought it would be good practice. I used the stump as my splitting block and a few pieces the axe flew right through burying itself in the stump. I managed everything but 3 crutch pieces. Some of the rounds laying out in the yard from bucking I simply split with a golf style stroke. The bigger chunks made a loud pop which I found assuming for some reason. ;lol

Dad appreciated it so that's what matters.

Reactions: Oldman47 and pen
If you are splitting by hand, try splitting the crotches by lining up so that you take both sides of the crotch right down the middle with your maul. You end up with Y shaped splits that run right through the heart of the crotch wood. If the rounds start out big, make it easy on yourself by first splitting away the outside half of each side of the crotch, then spitting the crotch itself with that coordinated split approach.

Good score, black walnut is good wood to burn... Looks like you got a nice workout with the X-27. Nicely done.

Status
Not open for further replies.