All American mini splitter review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

splitterless

Well not wanting to spend $1500+ for a splitter, I found this one for $249 + $40 sh, It is a great idea for 6/12 logs. Would not completely split 9/12 as advertise. It is a steel box beam with a adjustable splitter and 8 ton jack, great idea however needs more adjustment holes and heavier jack that extends more. You need every log to be the exact same size or you are adjusting the splitter every time. So back it goes $40 each way on me. I been reading about the electrics, ( they are made in china and all are the same except for the paint job), that would be great if your wood pile, 20 amp or better plug and shed are all in the same spot. The next step up is a 15 ton gas by speeco, any word on this one? :roll:

Attachments

• log spl 2 (Small).jpg
    log spl 2 (Small).jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,450
  • log spl 3 (Small).jpg
    log spl 3 (Small).jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 951
I dont have the 15 ton but I do have the 22 ton from speeco. And I like it. Some people like to spend the money on the 30 plus ton monsters. However, I could not see why the 15 ton would not do you just fine. I have not found anything my 22 ton will not split. And I have put some nasty chunks of wood through it and have done about eight cord of wood this year.

I have a 22 ton Harbor Freight. It is made with components from many different countries and assembled in China. It sounds like buying American is important to you. Good luck, I highly doubt you will find anything that is 100% American. Some component will almost certainly be from another country whether it be the motor, the pump, or the steel it is fabricated with you will most certainly have some foreign component. Fact of life; we live in a global economy.
As far as splitter size. IMO the 15 ton would be too small and end up being a disapointment. My 22 ton rarely gets stuck and is the minimum I would recommend. I recently split 3 cords of wood and it got stuck two times. Both times repositioning the log was all that was necessary. Here is a video of my splitter going through a large oak round with a large knot. It slowed down but did not stall. Sorry for the jumping around it is hard being a camera man and operating a log splitter at the same time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YFU2RYKHyU

I wonder how this works with an air powered hydraulic jack rather than the hand powered version.

Same rig, except 12 ton jack, then you need a air compressor. The basic short fall is that their is not enough adjustment holes and the jack ram is not long enough. ;-)

FIREFIGHTER29 said:
I have not found anything my 22 ton will not split.

I will send you some:

Attachments

• elm2.jpg
    elm2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 669
I have one of those minisplitters. After a certain amount of time they leak real bad at the seal and because they are welded, u can not replace the seals. I had to replace 2 pumps, then I bought the ryobi

I say I have @ 100 hours on it and it is closer to 3 year old. No problems 12 to 18 inch long logs. <12 inch rounds. Make sure the logs are seasoned to the point of cracks. Soft wood can be split green. For me it gets the job done. I have split 20 inch rounds of year old oak but no longer then 12 inches. There are times I can not split some wood but then I age those pieces longer. I also need at times a pry bar and 6"piece 4X4 wood (That saves time by shortening the stroke)
A friend of mine bought a DR and has no complaints. I did by the extended waranty through HD.

Jags, is that Cotten wood that you smashed?

johnsopi said:
Jags, is that Cotten wood that you smashed?

Nasty old elm. Had a whole pile that acted the same way. Bark-less, dead standing, and tough as an old Command Master Chief. I've split elm many times, but have never seen so much of the same tree, being that stubborn. By the way, that splitter is a home built, with a 5" ram and the relief valve cranked from 2250 up to 2500 psi, so it really has some push power to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.