All fired up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
Not that today is a good test since it is currently 51 degrees out, but finally got everything hooked up and going. The only problem I had is with the OAK, the outside wall plate seems to have a smaller hole than the tube so I could not slide the tube through it. So I just have the hose hanging out the wall, looks ugly is all. Didn't take any pics of that..

000_0001-3.jpg

000_0002-1.jpg

Congrats on the new stove (2nd stove). Looks like a winner. Update your signature.. So people know your sportin a new Englander.. Hope is serves you well, for many years to come.

Congrats on the new Englander. With 2 fire breathers you should be toasty now! :)

I think we have some colder weather coming for the weakend. Keep us posted.

Congrats on the new arrival ;) Looks good.

Very nice install, you will love that little stove just keep it clean and it will keep you nice and toasty.

Looks real good! Very attractive install. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.

Looks great Chris....and the report on the heat output is.......?

Well, there really is nowhere to hook my thermometer to get a good reading. The closest I could get is holding it at the bottom of the blower grate and it was about 150 I believe with it set on 5/6..
So far I have only ran it for about 5 hours and it went through 1/2 bag of pellets. Not sure if that is good or bad...

chrisasst said:
Well, there really is nowhere to hook my thermometer to get a good reading. The closest I could get is holding it at the bottom of the blower grate and it was about 150 I believe with it set on 5/6..
So far I have only ran it for about 5 hours and it went through 1/2 bag of pellets. Not sure if that is good or bad...

The bottom line is the room temp....is it warm or not?

What do you have the bottom buttons set at? Factory settings for that model are 4-6-1

imacman said:
chrisasst said:

The bottom line is the room temp....is it warm or not?

What do you have the bottom buttons set at? Factory settings for that model are 4-6-1

The factory settings on mine were / are 6-4-1 from left to right...
Yes it will be warm in here :)

So Chris, I haven't really read anything from you on your overall impressions of the new stove.

Does it heat better than the Kozi? Does it burn pellets the Kozi wouldn't? Are you warm finally?

Etc, etc.

First off, if I had another $700 I would by another and replace the kozi.
The cubex burned awesome. Last night was the first real challenge with the cold temps. I had the kozi on a lower setting and the englander on 5/8. At 5:30 this morning it was -5 out, 66 in. ( yes I still have big air leaks that allows cold air in), I had some prestologs in lastnight which I don't think are burning as hot also. With the prestologs, I had a lot of unburnt pellets so not sure if I need to adjust the air intake or what.
A full hopper of pellets are actually lasting longer than what I thought it would.
I did read about the ABCD thing and mine was d, I changed that to C tonight, so I will how that does with heat. Burning right now in C and the flame looks much stronger and feels hotter. Still burning P-logs.

I guess there is one concern I may have which is, every so often I hear a rumbling noise, I would call it a rumbling ball of fire, if that makes sense, when I hear this, I can sort of feel my floor vibrate as well. I know my oil furnace used to do that, but that happened when I started it up..so not sure...

Other than that, I haven't really tried messing with the bottom buttons yet, so I don't know if I need to or not.

This guy I just got the pellets from is supposed to bring by the stove he has tomorrow so I can see what that is. Really would like to get rid of the kozi before next season.

Glad to hear that your finally getting some good heat Chris. If it's cold again tonight, try increasing the heat setting....try 6-9.

As for the rumbling, Mike Holton from Englander had a post a while back about it….don’t know if you saw it.

He found that if you remove the OAK from the back of the stove, and cover about 1/4 to 1/3 of the intake w/ foil tape, it helps.

Take a look at post #6 by Mike in this thread:

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/66782/#763148

As long as it is not hurting the stove or going to blow up I can live with it. I actually tired a higher heat setting last night, but it didn't seem to give anymore heat, it actually felt like it was colder than set on 5. What is the story behind the ABCD thing anyway?
Like I said I changed it to C tonight and right now I turned it down to 4 and it is throwing the heat out..but I don't want to ruin the stove or whatever by changing that setting..

Also I think I need to hook up a thermostat.

The factory setting for the mode on a PDVC is "D", as per Mike Holton. If you keep the heat setting on the low side (under 5), then it will probably be OK, but you probably will notice an increase in pellet consumption.

If you need to raise the heat setting to 5 or above, go back to "D" mode or the stove will get too hot.

BTW, you CAN run the stove on the higher heat settings....that's why the settings are there. 9-9 should be used only on occasion to "burn out" any creosote deposits....no more than an hour or 2, max. Anything under that (8-9, 7-9, etc) should be no problem for the stove.

Nice to hear Chris, I also hope you get a dandy of a deal with the $50 stove. Please post what it is as soon as you find out. Very curious here! :)

If I run on a higher setting ( 7-9 or 8-9) do you recommend adjusting the bottom 3 buttons? Like I said, I tried a higher setting, I believe it was 8-9, and it didn't seem to burn as good. Lower flame, and seemed like a cooler heat output than it was on 5-9.

chrisasst said:
If I run on a higher setting ( 7-9 or 8-9) do you recommend adjusting the bottom 3 buttons? Like I said, I tried a higher setting, I believe it was 8-9, and it didn't seem to burn as good. Lower flame, and seemed like a cooler heat output than it was on 5-9.

It's possible, but generally the more "heat" (pellets) you set the stove to, the more BTU output. I guess it's possible that the higher combustion blower speed is sending the heat through the stove too fast.

As an experiment, try raising the heat setting to 7 or 8, and lower the LBA 1 setting from factory and see what happens.

I guess the bottom line is to run the stove where you find it's "sweet spot".

Status
Not open for further replies.