All hands on deck I really need your help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

April 26 I have been summons to appear in front of the state review board. In question is my status as an inspector. I have not met the required contact hours to further my educational requirements. I am paid per inspection basis. For me to attend seminars I loose an entire day’s pay, unlike most inspectors on salary. I was forced into making a choice, take care of family responsibilities. Thre children attending Villanova, Wheaton, and Cornell, I could not afford to loose $300 to 400 per day to earn one contact hour.
My appeal here is to have active posters and passive ones who may have learned a thing or two from my post to bombard the powers that be in the state of Ma, Validating my Knowledge and expertise, I wish I never had to make this request but the state has forced my hand. They can remove me from duties but not take away my National certification.
This is the same state that allowed me to present seminars at the second annual Builders Inspectors’ Convention while planning to pull the rug out from under me. No one left my seminar either day without more knowledge than when they entered. If I have helped you in any way please inform this person and also me so that I can print your e-mails as proof
My name is Don Jordan I inspect in the town of Wrentham Ma. Thanks
My e-mail is [email protected]
Rob Anderson, Deputy Administrator of the Department of Public Safety
[email protected] His secetary
Craig and mo I will be e-mailing you for support

Elk - you have my support and any help you might need. I learned a whole lot from your postings, and have a incredibly safe stove install because of your advice and help. I'll be happy to write, make a phone call, or heck, appear in front of the review board if they need me to testify in person.

elkimmeg said:
Craig and mo I will be e-mailing you for support

I will be glad to help - but keep this in mind. The state and government often have political and other motives - that are not moral or ethical or right. It is a shame, but often the folks who do the best jobs are the ones they want to get rid of!

Sad, but true. A police officer in a town next to ours was let go because he had the nerve to stop the girlfriend of one of the council members and give her a ticket. They do this stuff right out front. Power corrupts! Maybe you failed something that took a few bucks out of some pols pocket - or pissed off a builder who gives to an election campaign.....

In NJ, it is virtually impossible to remove a building official - they are union, and I think in some ways this is good because it avoids the personal grudges.

I don't think it has anything do to job preformance. A computer spits out my earn credit hours a red flag goes up better call this person in. My Building Commissioner says the state should consider hiring me as I do what few do With Mechanical inspections
At one point they anre encouraging me to educate all the town building inspectors Now the are questioning my attendence to seminars to advance my education. Many sleep threw these seminars the sign in and split and get credit mHell I got credit for fishing call the intercoastal seminar some get credit for playing in the anual golf tournament.
I submit I have increased my knowledge other ways then attending seminars one such place is right here on Hearthnet forums

Elk,
i am sure a lot of us would be pleased to send an email regarding this situation. I am wondering what are some of the important things you would want them to hear? Is it issues of knowing code, level of helpfulness, wit and humor?

let us know.

Dammit - I lost another post! Okay - Take 2 :(

Don,
Perhaps you could gain some advantage by pitching yourself as a subject matter expert - certainly you are on this forum! In addition to the points you have already made, you could make a case that because of your status as a lecturer at these seminars the (significant) time spent in preparing lecture materials should be considered "contact" hours as it is most certainly done in conjunction with manufacturers and installers - keeping you abreast of the latest developments in the industry.

I'll be happy to send off an email on your behalf!

-Dan

I sent him my letter - you have our full support. See you inbox.

Better check that email address with state of Mass - I keep getting a delivery failiure.

Elk-
I'm getting a "this address doesn't exist" when I send something to Mr. Anderson. Is this his correct email address? I tried twice. Thanks!

elk i sent you something email. hopefully not over the top or off subject.
hope you can use it

Hi elk, I'll be happy to write up something after I finish my taxes in the next day or two.

elk,

give us some guidelines as to what you'd like us to include in the emails.

elki,
i sent you an e-mail of my letter to deputy anderson if you are happy with it i will email it to him. just let me know via phone please as we have been pretty busy on the boat to ck the mail. thanks and i'll back you up any time.
john

Elk, check your email, as I cc'ed my letter of support to you, I hope they reconsider your certification, think of all the folks you may save from potential disaster!

Hey Elk !
I just sent my letter & cc'd it to you as well. Don't know if it will help. But it is the least I can offer given all the help you have given us.

Crow

elk is going to have company in front of the State Board. Out of 714 certified building inspectors in Massachusetts 114 had less contact hours in 2005 than he did.

Supposedly I should have received credit for 3 seminars each being worth 10 points or credits. Just recently in Feb., the powers that be
eliminated those hours worth to only awarding 10 for any seminar in the 3 year period. My credit or contact hours are quite screwed up. One I have also attended plumbing / mechanical seminar that is credits, but because listed in Plumbing the, building board does not have them. I it should not be a bleak as it appears. We have to earn 45 contact hours over a 3 year period. Most monthly seminars net 1 earn hour all day seminars earns 5. The annual Building inspectors convention for two days attendance = 12 plus presenting seminars each day aught to equal quite a bit more, not recorded yet, but can be used or borrowed backwards.
I think this when added in makes a case, that I have made a decent effort to comply And there is 2 other or at least 8 more contact hours I have accumulated this year not recorded on the web site yet. Like Brother Bart pointed out there are many other fish to fry first and when all is accounted. One must ask why it is me first? My boss the building commissioner, will be attending the hearing with me. It is his oppinion, and he is the person most qualified to evaluate my job performance, That instead of suctioning me the state should be hiring me. Really I have no equal in the state concerning mechanical matters, they call me for input . To be a Mechanical inspector in MA one must have passed the National local building inspector's examines. Which at my time required passing 4 test Two in NFPA NFPA72 Fire alarms, NFPA 13 Sprinklers,CABO which now is IRC International Residential codes. and BOCA which is now IBC International Building Codes Every test has to be passed to be certified by either 75 or 80%

Even if the state de commissions me, I am still nationally certified. They can not take that away but I would have to move out of state for employment or travel to RI which my town borders.

As physical labor get harder to do, I would like to be a building commissioner , state inspector, or perhaps a consultant or Insurance investigator dealing with mechanical issues. IT's not like my livelihood dries up. I make more money with a hammer or Perhaps being a project manager or code consultant. I like what I do. If they can me, life will go on. I will be golfing wed and thurs nights still pitching here to help others.

What is tough is to learn to suck it up. Knowing that no one in the room that is judging me either understands the effort I made to gain the knowledge I have I'm a builder I self taught the mechanical codes . No proof as far as earn credit hours of taking the time to be educated. There will be no one in that room that has a fraction of what I have done or approaches the mechanical code knowledge. Many there never h had a blister on their hands. My approach is unique insppector that know and usnderstands the code side and practically side of the contractor and home owner. Well back to repairing my front deck. I will post some pictures befors during and after later

elk,

Being from the midwest I"m not certain any input from me would help, unfortunately dealing with the bureaucracy may require more than member testimonial. It probably boils down to the revenue enhancement thing ; fees for the classes and then more fees for new license.

I have read many of your posts on the technical side of wood stove issues and quickly concluded that you are someone whom is genuinely interested in what you do. And that interest always equates into a person doing his or her job at their best. I'm sure you have access to local officials who could attest to your abilities and expertise in the inspection field and even past paper work supporting that. If the attribute of helping others is taken into account I'd say no problem for you.

Seems like the inflexibility of bureaucratic gov. often times ignores competency in lieu of making one jump through all the hoops that have been created. I hope some requirements can be altered and your job status kept intact. Wishing you the best.

I sent mine in this morning. Since I have used your advice on several homes I restored in the last two years I also referenced my company. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.