All In One...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter B.

Feeling the Heat
Feb 27, 2008
SW Wisconsin
It ain't the best pic, but...

Here's my central heat and AC combo... used year round.

Looking forward to the heating season... sort of.

Peter B.

-----

Attachments

• allinone.jpg
    allinone.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 490
Is that copper tubing wrapped around the base for DHW?

No new stove (this year), and no new modifications to the old beast (yet).

Thought I'd take advantage of the tax rebate, but it turned out to be a tax credit I don't qualify for, so...

Thought about rebuilding the innards and trying to coerce a crafty friend into making a loading door with a window, but...

The Round Oak will surely make it through another season and the cat is pretty fresh, so I should be good to go, even if I stay lazy.

--

'Crappy' ??? I'll have you know I could likely still sell this stove for a lot more than you paid for the Energy Harvester. By the way, you definitely need a flue damper if you want to slow down your wood consumption.

(The electric cord for the fan is hiding... no sleight of hand.)

Peter B.

-----

LLigetfa said:
Is that copper tubing wrapped around the base for DHW?

It was an 'experiment' of mine. I lived in a converted shed for five years with no running (or heated) water. Got a thermosiphon going through a car heater core, but never added any storage. I could drain off about half a gallon of hot water for dishes every now and then, but it really wasn't practical for much else.

I decided not to pump a steady flow of water for fear the firebox might crack, but I've been told the chances of that are remote so I might give it a try someday.

Peter B.

-----

peterb,
so tell me more about this thermosiphon experiment ?
no pump ?
i'm guessing a fan behind the radiator
how big of an area were you heating ?
rn

Not to be too picky but how far from the back of the stove to the wood trim?

rustynut said:
peterb,
no pump ?
rn

It was really just a toy as far as it went... though it does seem as though I put a bit of work into wrapping that tube, doesn't it?

(I ain't the man I oncet wuz, but come to think of it I don't guess I ever wuz.)

You can likely find good discussions about *real* thermosiphons over in the Boiler Room.

BeGreen said:

Not far enough, but after 20 years, I think it's 'grandfathered'... as are a variety of other not-quite-to-code details of my install.

Right now, I'm not worried about them because I'm uninsured.

Peter B.

-----

Peter B. said:
rustynut said:
peterb,
no pump ?
rn

BeGreen said:

Not far enough, but after 20 years, I think it's 'grandfathered'... as are a variety of other not-quite-to-code details of my install.

Right now, I'm not worried about them because I'm uninsured.

Peter B.

-----

Read up on pyrolysis. It can go years that way and very suddenly become a real problem. Although apparently unconcerned about the house, it might be good to think of the firemen that are called out to deal with a fire.

When I see set ups like that I always say it is not an IF,... ITS A WHEN!!! As each firing occurs its part of the countdown to WHEN it will happen.

BeGreen said:
Read up on pyrolysis. It can go years that way and very suddenly become a real problem. Although apparently unconcerned about the house, it might be good to think of the firemen that are called out to deal with a fire.

Are you sure pyrolysis is the operative word here? Care to provide a reference?

--

north of 60 said:
When I see set ups like that I always say it is not an IF,... ITS A WHEN!!! As each firing occurs its part of the countdown to WHEN it will happen.

Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five...

--

Oh hell, I guess I'm just bored today...

Tempted to take Pook's bait and advocate Magic Heat for EPA stoves. Hey, if they burn that clean, why should there be any significant creosote buildup in the MH?

--

At least all I did was sabotage my own thread. No firemen were injured in the course of responding.

PB

-----

Peter B. said:
BeGreen said:

Are you sure pyrolysis is the operative word here? Care to provide a reference?

--

north of 60 said:

Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five...

--

Oh hell, I guess I'm just bored today...

Tempted to take Pook's bait and advocate Magic Heat for EPA stoves. Hey, if they burn that clean, why should there be any significant creosote buildup in the MH?

--

At least all I did was sabotage my own thread. No firemen were injured in the course of responding.

PB

-----

:coolhmm: By the sounds of it, Id say the pyrolysis in this thread has already started. :coolsmirk:

the heating and cooling cycles of wood dry it out and carbonize over time. As this happens the combustion point temp lowers to the point that it will flash. It can take many years for this to happen. Its pretty common knowledge with installers and fire inspectors. Pull the siding off behind the stove, and check out the studs. 20 years would be time for inspection.

Peter B. said:
No new stove (this year), and no new modifications to the old beast (yet).

Thought I'd take advantage of the tax rebate, but it turned out to be a tax credit I don't qualify for, so...

Thought about rebuilding the innards and trying to coerce a crafty friend into making a loading door with a window, but...

The Round Oak will surely make it through another season and the cat is pretty fresh, so I should be good to go, even if I stay lazy.

--

'Crappy' ??? I'll have you know I could likely still sell this stove for a lot more than you paid for the Energy Harvester. By the way, you definitely need a flue damper if you want to slow down your wood consumption.

(The electric cord for the fan is hiding... no sleight of hand.)

Peter B.

Pete...I guess you missed the I love it part.
I love your stove Pete and no disrespect intended Sir.
Oh bye the way, my wood is free but thanks for the suggestion.

-----

in the picture looks like a wood stove, a vent free propane wall heater, and an electric heater.
must get cold there.
if you need more heat you may need to look in to a magic heat. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.